More Kingfishers and some other stuff

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Oct 23, 2005.

1. It was a very fun day yesterday. I met up with fellow cafe member Louis Champan. We went to the Ballard Locks to find the kingfishers. Not much else was around but it sure was fun to see the kingfisher up close again. After leaving the locks we headed for the pond at Golden Gardens. Saw lots of American Wigeons and a few Nothern Shovelers. Hope you enjoy these. It is a rare treat to get this close to the kingfishers. I have found them to be one of the hardest birds to shoot. When close the hard part is not blowing the highlights. I did blow them but could not help it.

Kingfisher showing some tongue
    original.

original.

Kingfisher flapping wings
    original.

Here was a Western Grebe also at the locks
    original.
    Then it was off to Golden Gardens to see some ducks. This is a Northern Shoveler flapping its wings.

original.

And a turtle soaking in the wonderful sun

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done Jim
    very sharp and great exp. !!

tough bugers to get for sure

3. Very impressive Jim. You are going to have to start bringing a nice branch for the kingfisher to roost on...

4. Rory you are so correct. There were a few trees around but they seemed to like the view from the metal objects better. :frown: :frown:

The trade off is being able to get shots of them close. I will have to remember to carry that branch with me next time for sure...

5. Sharp as you can imagine great job.... I like Rorys idea of bring your own personal branch and tying it there for them to land on

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All excellent as usual.
    Your equip and great glass sure help emensly.

Here is the best I can get.
    Poor example.

Some day manby I can have good glass and a better camera. But highly doubt it.

7. Great captures of a very illusive birdie! Nice and sharp, great colours! You certainly did well. Guess you'll just have to Photoshop the branches in !! *LOL*

8. These are top-notch kingfisher shots, Jim! Love the background on the turtle shot!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim (and Louis), I sure wish I could have gone with you guys. Looks like you had a really productive day, and you definitely got some excellent images.

Jim, I like them all, but my favorites are the Kingfishers. I still don't have a decent shot of one of those. As to blown highlights, this has been the hardest thing for me to learn to deal with properly. My strategy recently has been to try to underexpose by about 1/3 to 1/5 stop, and take the noise hit in PP. Better than an area of all 255's. :rolleyes:

10. I usually try this too but on these guys with the bright sun and shade made the dynamic range too great even underexposed by 2/3 stop. I still blew out the highlights.

Being this close to the kingfishers also added to the problem. I may try some of my even darker shots to see how bad the noise is. May be ok as I was at ISO 280 most of the time. Now to get them to land on that branch!!! Oh so many issues to deal with. Thanks for your suggestions