More Mesa Arch . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Worley, May 27, 2005.

1. By popular (?) demand, some more views of Mesa Arch are offered here.

Mesa Arch is about 40 miles from Moab. But the roads are often twisty and their speed limits vary wildly. To get there in time to beat the sunrise and to get set up in a good spot in the dark, we figured (after two rehearsals in the previous two mornings) that we'd have to get up at 4:00 a.m.

All went well initially. Around 4:35 am we were on the road just a mile or two north of Moab (before the entrance to Arches). Unlike the previous two days, we could see stars in th sky and the horizon looked clear. We were making great time and I was fantasizing about where I'd set up and the great pictures I'd get.

Then the flashing red and blue lights appeared in my rear view. Visions of early set up and great spot disappeared fast. Turns out, the state was chip-sealing the road north out of town and, as a "construction zone" (even if nobody was there constructing anything at four freakin-thirty-five a.m. in the dang morning) the speed limit was 40 mph. I was 21 mph over that!

Well, we certainly didn't fit anybody's profile of desperados. And after I explained my photographic urgency and why I wasn't therefore paying the closest attention to the unfamiliar speed limit, the state policeman let us go with an admonition to "keep it down."

And "keep it down" we did. Mostly at the constant insistence of the other half of the marital community.

On arrival at Mesa Arch, and after hiking the half mile or so over the hill to the rim, we found at least eight others there before us. Add to that the odd spouse, breakfast food container, extra cold weather clothing, and even a cooler (!) spread around the area, it looked rather "full."

But I didn't despair! And I hope these images give no hint of all that activity and humanity raging on beside and behind me, and instead capture what I thought of as a silent, expansive, solitary location, probably best illustrated by the lonely spires in the distance.

So, here's three more, with usual apologies for the muted and slightly fuzzy jpeg images (all taken with the D2x, 12-24DX at between 12 and 14mm, f/16):

Mesa Arch without any sky:

large.

Mesa Arch with obligatory starburst and classy lens flare:

View attachment 9521

Another 90 degree view of Mesa Arch with better glow this time:

View attachment 9522

2. Beautiful shots! The struggle it took to get them makes them all the more meaningful. Thanks for posting them.

Brian

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Beautiful Mike. Really well composed and color to die for. Glad the troopers saw it your way. "Fines double in construction zones" ya know. ;)

4. Thanks, Brian. Beautiful state you've got there. Many photographers there from the Salt Lake area. Which is a lot closer than Phoenix! But then Phoenix is a lot closer than many other places.

Regards,

Mike

5. Thanks, Chris.

Never occurred to me that a "construction zone" with no one there was still a construction zone. The whole idea (here in AZ, anyhow) behind the rule was to protect the workers. There weren't any there!!

To be honest, at 4:35 a.m. (Utah time, which was 3:35 a.m. AZ time) I wasn't thinking about construction zones. And I didn't see the 40mph temporary speed limit sign. (Wasn't exactly looking for one.)

Mike