1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More Mothras

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by OHcorgis, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    These are beautiful captures Birgit. I wish I could see one of these.

2. These are great Birgit, and look at the catchlight in the eye on the first. wow!

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Birgit,
    They are all excellent. We don't have those kind of Moths around here, so its very interesting to see them.

4. Very nice shots, Birgit!

I think I have seen one of these only once, it was fast, coming from one direction and dissappearing to another within a split second...

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice shots. Do they hover in front of the flower? I have never seen any of these beautiful moths.

6. Torben, they are much like the hummingbird they are named for. Extremely fast, flitting from flower to flower stamen for just a second. They are very fond of Bee Balm (Monarda) and pink, purple petunias. I planted extra large red bee balm. I see hummingbirds there, but no moths. Obviously they prefer pinks and purples. They are small, no more than an inch in length.

I prefer to use the 200 f/4 micro for these, but I was shooting with the 300 f/4 this time.

7. Yes, that is how they are!

8. Nice captures, Birgit. They are fascination little creatures. I haven't seen any this season, but still hoping. Thanks for sharing your find.

9. those are some of the coolest moths I've ever seen - I wish I could find some up here

10. I am sure they are in Michigan, if they are in Ohio. You just need the right plants to lure them. And you have to be there when they come and go - really fast. But they will hang by the BeeBalm plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.