More movie makin' stuff

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by PhilY, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Well, this has all been quite an experience. :biggrin:

I posted a thread a while back:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=121875

sharing a few outtakes from shooting the stills for a movie being made locally. I promised I would post a few follow-up shots. Well, it's time. :biggrin:

One of the primary sets is an old house trailer -- the home of the "drug dealer". They put it inside a huge building and blocked all the windows and skylights so they could control the light -- turn day into night, as it were.

They also did shoots on the side of the road, in parking lots, etc.

View attachment 108534

The "drug dealer" is losing it and beat up two of his "girls". I caught them between scenes studying their lines and grabbed a few shots to show the makeup, black eyes -- split lips -- cigar burns -- it all looked very real. Those makeup folks are good.

View attachment 108535
    View attachment 108536
    View attachment 108537

The sets around town have ranged from the road/parking lot scenes to that beautiful house trailer to this little "shack". heh

View attachment 108538

This is what it would look like if you owned this monster and was setting up on your porch thumbing your nose at the world. :biggrin:

View attachment 108539

Getting set up for a night shot.

View attachment 108540

Taking the night shot. (this was cool)

View attachment 108541

EEEEEKKKK -- IT'S THE FUZZ!! hehheh

View attachment 108542

I hope you enjoyed this set -- I'm having a blast taking them. We're going to blow up that trailer in the morning with some C-5 and det cord. I can hardly wait! :biggrin:

Phil

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Excellent work here. Great series of shots. You have a real knack for doucumentary work.

3. Thanks for the great compliment, Rick. I am actually shooting for two different sets of people, the producers and the local film commission, and they both want documentary style images of the movie making process, not stills of the movie, so your comment swells my head a bit. They both just gave a general idea of what they wanted and let me run with it and I've been kinda stumbling around blind hoping I'm getting what they want. If nothing else, I am getting a LOT of experience. :smile:

Phil

4. Yeah, I could tell by the photos that these were not necessarily stills you were shooting but more documentary style images.

A friend of mine got a gig in the 80's shooting on the set of "Places in the Heart", the Sally Fields movie. A lot of it was filmed around Waxahachie, Texas and he was able to get me on the set a few times as a second shooter. It really was fun.

Post some more when you get them.

5. A very cool gig for you, Phil! Have you fallen for any of those sweet young actress types yet?

6. Nah -- only the blondes -- and the brunettes -- and the bleached blondes. Not the redheads, though. There aren't any redheads. :biggrin:

Phil

7. Interesting that they look to be using HD video vs film cameras (especially in #2 along the side of the road). Or, maybe it's a hybrid camera of some kind that offers both?

Looks like a fun assignment. Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers!!

Ken

8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots Phil. Don't you need an assistant? That street shot sure doesn't look like the Guntown I know.

9. Thanks for the comments, Ken.

I'm not real sure about the camera details -- didn't pay a lot of attention, was too busy with my own little task. I do know they have two different crews with different camera setups. Now, the *only* time I would shoot is during rehearsal shoots and they were using a digital HD cam to get instant feedback on a laptop. The "real" take would then be with different stuff. ((shrug))

Phil

10. Hey, Rex -- thanks for the compliment!

I sure as heck could have used a second shooter a bunch of times, especially after they broke up into different crews with different locations. The street scenes were actually here in town but the Guntown police were there and those are their police cars. I didn't ask questions -- they had guns. :biggrin:

We *are* going to blow up the house trailer in Guntown in the morning, though. They pulled it up there last night. Cops from both towns are going to be there along with the bomb squad from here as well as the ATF guys. Think any of the crew will have any wacky weed on hand considering who will be there? :biggrin::biggrin:

Phil

11. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    There will be some nervous folks in Guntown with all that law inforcement running around.:eek: