More Native Orchids (Image heavy)

I called past another reserve at 6am yesterday. It was a cool 2DegC and there was dew on many of the flowers.

The forecast is for warm weather this weekend. hopefully it will be warm enough for the Sun Orchids to open

#1 Orange-tip Fingers (Caladenia aurantiaca)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Orange-tip Fingers (Caladenia aurantiaca)

#2 Purple Beard Orchid (Calochilus robertsonii)

#3 Pink Fingers (Caladenia carnea) These come in a variety of sizes and shades

#4 Pink Fingers (Caladenia carnea)

#5 Pink Fingers (Caladenia carnea)

#6 Pink Fingers (Caladenia carnea)

#7 Hare Orchid (Leptoceras menziesii)

#8 Brown-clubbed Spider Orchid (Caladenia parva)

#9 Brown-clubbed Spider Orchid (Caladenia parva)

#10 Brown-clubbed Spider Orchid (Caladenia parva)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
These are delightful images! Very, very well created! Excellent control of the DOF and separation from the backgrounds. These appear to be very small.....about how tall are they? Thanks so much for sharing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are delightful images! Very, very well created! Excellent control of the DOF and separation from the backgrounds. These appear to be very small.....about how tall are they? Thanks so much for sharing!
Thank you.

Yes, they are all quite small. The majority of these, the flowers are probably between 100-150mm (4-6in) above the ground. Focus stacking helps with the control of DOF, these are all focus stacks of between 10 and 15 images. One of the reasons I prefer to go out early in the morning is the breeze is generally calmer. Unfortunately this doesn't work so well with sun orchids. The rule of thumb with sun orchids is they require around 22DegC min before they open, and generally only open between 11am and 2pm. The reserves look really pretty when there is a big patch of sun orchids out. They vary in colour and species at our local reserves. We have Blue, Pink, Apricot, and Yellow and they can be all out together if conditions are right.

Here is one example of a pink sun orchid in flower from last season.

Orchids have such unique shapes and colorations. You have captured them very well.
Thank you

Another very interesting set. You certainly have a plethora of orchid varieties in Australia.
Yes we do, and for the most part they are very close to home. Western Australia has more varieties than anywhere else in Australia. Although we have visited WA many times, never for Orchid hunting. It is on my todo list.

It was windy today, but I managed to get a number of sun orchids.

You certainly have a way with these pics Richard. Excellent results, all round. Which kit were you using on this occasion?

Thank you Ron. I used the Olympus set for these.

It was a busy weekend, we had quite alot of orchids in flower including a number of sun orchids. I took just over 3 thousand images over the weekend.

When doing a number of 15image focus stacks it doesn't take long to get the images count up.

Not all the images are what I'd normally post, like these two. You can also see the change in colour of the orchids as they age. These were taken a day apart.

Getting to the duck orchids early and they're still asleep. They tuck their heads in overnight.
50407227957_6fcb67aa2e_b.jpg

Or this one. The mosquitoes biting me, and they also like to get in the shot :) EDIT: it also shows how small the flowers are with the mosquito as a size reference.
50415463578_47cd342612_b.jpg

I actually like that last one because of it giving an idea of scale.

Although I recall some of your countrymen telling me that Australia has the biggest mozzies in the world - not like the titchy little things we have.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom