More new Alien bee gear

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by DanWhite, Jul 2, 2007.

1. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
  2. that vegabond II looks interesting, and I may just build one sometime soon. It'd be fun to bring some lights on location outdoors sometime.

That, or I'll just get a few old flash units and some radio trigger things.

3. I've pre-ordered the Vagabond II. I'm also interested in their standard ring flash...

4. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Interesting indeed. Thanks for the heads-up.

I have been considering adding a pack and head system to my AB/WL monolight setup and I may just have to give this a serious look.

I have always wanted to try a ringlight but the cost of a high power unit is just too prohibitive. The Zeus RL at $300 is pretty tempting if one were to go the Zeus pack-head route.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I bought the original Vagabond a few months ago, but AB is offering a 50% discount on the new unit for recent purchasers. Very fair of them.

6. Why spend $599.00 for a power pack to save $100.00 on a ring flash? Their standalone ring flash is only $399.00.
    http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

7. Becuase their standalone ringflash is only 320ws. The Zeus can give you alot higher output combined with the powerpacks.

8. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Paul is correct. The ABR unit, although very attractively priced, is just not powerful enough for many situations. I would like to be able to use it outdoors at a decent distance and be able to overpower the sun. I know I would use it very little but if I were to purchase into the Zeus system, another $300 for a 2500ws ring flash is real cheap compared to similar powered units.

9. I didn't realize they were different wattages...

10. The diffrence between the two is that the abr is a self contained unit. Wich means its just like a regular studio strobe, with its own powersupply and fan.

While a setup like Zeus is just the flash tube/modelling light (and fan, ) the actual power is transfered from the pack and its the pack that determine what max/min output you can get.

The zeus is very attractive in price compared to brands like Profoto/elinchrom, Broncolor etc. Offcourse there are other diffrences then the price, epecially when you compare the packs.