More of Bob's Closeups.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Some more work from last year.

[​IMG]

A Broad Bordered Bee Hawk Moth feeding on Lavender. Taken at our holiday home in France.

[​IMG]

This is a female Emperor Dragonfly flying over the pool looking for somewhere to lay its eggs. Notice how the body is curved down. This is the female's way of indicating that she has mated, and therefore other males will leave her alone.

[​IMG]

She has now found a place to lay her eggs, and immerses her body into the pool. She then cuts a slit into the stem of the plant and inserts her egg/s into the cut stem. This female is being harassed by two damselflies.
    The egg laying of Odonata is very diverse. Some even lay their eggs in the branches of specific tree species that overhand the water. The larvae then hatch and do a high dive into the river or pond.

[​IMG]

Sorry this link does not seem to work. Tried it twice so any ideas/help.

I spent a fascinating few hours studying the flight pattern of this bumblebee, and soon learnt their flight pattern when they approach a flower. However when they left the flower they used a very unusual technique. As their power to weight ratio is not very good. They slide off the lower petal, and as they go into free fall they beat their wings like mad to start their flight and to stop themselves from dropping to the ground.

Again my sincere thanks to Janet Zinn for letting me use her website.

Best wishes. Bob F.

2. You had a ; instead of a : after http. I have fixed the link for you.

This is a really good series of shots with enough detail to make them interesting.

3. Bob, this is a nice lecture in reproductive biology of dragon flies. Some of the facts even I (as an entomologist) did not know, my major study subjets being beetles.
    Also you chose some of the most difficult things to capture. Who-ever watched dragonflies and damsel flies ovipositing will consent that their hectic movements are a real challenge for a photographer, particularly as far as focussing and freezing of movement are concerned. I have as yet to see a really tack sharp pic of an ovipositing dragonfly. Maybe the use of a flash would help. But then, they hardly let you get close enough for a true macro shot. I wonder how many shots you had to take to get a few acceptable ones.

The hawk-moth pic is nice. Aren't they lovely creatures? Oddly enough, some of the more humble people in my area still try to convince me at times that they saw a humming bird visiting their balcony flowers :) (in case they know what a hummingbird is).

Anyway, your images are motivation enough for me to try this kind of shots myself this summer. I wonder, though, if I will have enough patience for that task :lol:

Cheers

4. Thanks Harry and others. Glad you liked them.
    The female Anax imperator was quite some way away. This picture is cropped down from a 400mm shot at about 40ft.

BW. Bob F.