More of Bob's insects.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, Mar 15, 2005.

1. A word of warning. I am hoping to include quite a bit of text with these pictures, so if you just want to view the pictures please skip the text.
    However, if you want to read something about the subjects then I hope you find the information of interest.
    All pictures except No.3 were taken with the Nikkor 70-300mmED.
    No3 was with the Tamron 90mm D macro.

Picture 1. [​IMG]

Every year we go to France for June. This year we are returning to the same house in Le Vallee de Verte, and this picture of a Hummingbird Hawk Moth was taken on a piece of waste ground at the side of the house. The HBHM is feeding on Vipers Bugloss that grows in profusion at the roadsides. A beautiful flower when back or side lit.

Picture 2.[​IMG]

Anax imperator, (Male), in flight. One of my few successes of last year at capturing this, the largest of the UK's D/Flys, in flight. They are terrific flyers and very rarely rest, but constantly patrol, (Hawk), their territory which they guard against other males and keep their mated females within their territory. Flight speed from 5 to30-40+mph. Wing beats 60 beats per second. Females have a slower fight and are easier to capture in flight. We are lucky in Cornwall, as a lot of our pools are very acid and as these insects go back to the Carboniferous Era then we get a large number of species.

Picture 3.[​IMG]

This is an Oxfly again taken in France. We call them Horse Flies and or Cleggs in England. They are the equivalent of the USAF Stealth Bomber. . they settle on you without your knowledge and then drill a bloody great hole in your skin. Inject a decoagulant and SUCK!! Hells teeth, then you know it. It you are at all susceptible to any type of bite or sting then this fly will put you in hospital. Fortunately I am not so it is not too bad for me. Last year one in the UK one took a liking to my mouth and for 24-48 hours I looked as though I had done 5 rounds with George Forman.

Picture 4. [​IMG]

My favorite image of 2005, based purely on the picture and the memory of observing what was happening. After Wasps have raised their young they go off meat and want sweet thing like Jam, Sugar etc. This wasp wanted the nectar from the Bramble flower that the Small Copper Butterfly was feeding on. So the wasp kept on attacking the SC which is about as big as my thumbnail. Every time the SC succeeded in driving off the wasp until it gave up. I tried to capture the process on my camera but the action was too quick. However I DID GET THIS ONE, and I love the way the wasp is banking in like an F1-11 on to it's target.
    People DO NOT like Wasps, but without them our lives would be a misery. They feed their young larvae on masses and masses of meat which means that they kill and chop up tonnes of nasty stinging biting bugs every year. NO WASPS, MORE BITING STINGING BUGS to feed on us.

Well that is it. Sorry, (well slightly). for the diatribe, but I cannot see any point in putting up pictures of natural history subjects without an explanation. How otherwise are we going learn from one another?

TWO FINAL POINTS. If I get these pictures wrong again can somebody put them right for me. Looks like 2 are wrong!! PLEASE
    AND can somebody put picture 3 into the box that is by my name. I am not as good looking as Greyflash and the other dapper gents so this will have to door at least until I get a makeover.

Best wishes. Bob F. England

2. WOW, Bob your shots are fantastic!! I like the last one most of all. Hummingbird Hawk Moth?!?! I have never heard of such a thing. Very unusual bird.......err......bug.........not sure what it is!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

3. Bob, it is nice to have someone on the forum that is knowledgeable about insects and their environ. Good images and like your story that goes with them

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I fixed your links this morning, but forgot to reply.... :oops:

Very nice pics and narrative. Like you said, if you don't want to read it, you can still look at the pic's. I personally enjoy learning about the subjects that we love to shoot. ;-)

Thanks,

Frank

5. Hi Bob, looks like you got all the right links this time...everything looks good! Unfortunately I dont' think anyone else can post your "avatar" for you, you need to do that yourself when you are logged into your profile. However, I can resize the photo for you so you can use it. Watch your email...

still can't get over the dragonfly in flight shot...that's amazing!

6. To Bryan the Photo Dawg.

Firstly the HHBHMoth is just that a Hawk Moth. ie Moth.
    Size is very small, 2,5 inches give or take a bit. Never or hardly ever settle. Feed on the wing. Massive flight muscles in respect of body size. Second only to the Convolulus Hawk Moth. They can fly from Africa to the UK in about 6 days and they often do this in late summer, although most of them fly in from France which is only about 150 plus away.

I see you use smugmug aand I wondered if a could use your discount voucher number for when I get round to doing this. Glad you liked the images.

BW. Bob F.

7. Bob,

Thanks for the info on the Hawk Moth. If there are any moths like that in my parts (SE United States), I will definitely have to check one out up close and personal!!! :D :D :D :D

Yes, by all means. To get the smugmug discount you can cut/paste this coupon code when you sign up: FjR34rL7jPKpk

I look forward to viewing more of your pictures!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

8. I think you do.

I have a feeling that you have a moth that is very similar that is called a Snowberry Hawk Moth. Not sure, but is Snowberry an plant in the USA? If so then the larvae must feed on it.

BW. Bob F.

9. Hi Bob,

a great thank for this illustrated and very informative narrative about those moths, flies and wasp. As they say here in Quebec, tonight I will go to sleep less stupid.

About the Oxfly (popular name : white tail deer fly in Quebec), I simply hate them. They are numerous in our forests between mid-July and mid August, right on the vacation time. Their bites are painful and if one isn't careful, the wounds could be infected quickly.

BW

10. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the snowberry plant does not extend this far south. I am in Alabama. I will try to do some more research to find out if there is some type of Hawk Moth in my parts. Very interesting looking booger!! :D :D :D

11. Very nice series. The dragonfly in flight is superb and I have tried but never got one like that.

Stu

12. Nice tabanid portrait, Bob! I have always found the iridescent colors of tabanid eyes unsurpassed in the animal kingdom. On the other hand, these critters are quite a nuisance :?
    Greetings from an entomologist!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Bob, Thank you.

I have to echo the words of others.

Cheers
    Gale