More of the Midnight Whales in Iceland

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bobhoge, Jun 26, 2007.

1. My very early post on our trip around Iceland was called Midnight Whales In Iceland . I have finally reached that point of the story and needed to add some photos taken before that post.

This was our second encounter with a group of Humpback Whales (the earlier one was off Grimsey two nights before). It was a little after 9PM and the dining room was just starting to empty when we got an announcement from the bridge that there were several Humpbacks in the distance and we were going to stop for a look.
    Lots of spouts ahead:
    [​IMG]

In about 20 minutes, we were sitting still in the North Atlantic, maybe 25 miles off the northwest coast of Iceland and the Humpbacks were circling around us, very close:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were right ahead of the ship and you could see the white filppers underwater so you knew where they would surface shot at 70mm :eek::
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another pass:
    [​IMG]

It was so calm and the Humpbacks were sticking with us so the Expedition Leader and the Captain decided to wake up the zodiac crew and launch 7 zodiacs so we could take a closer look :cool::biggrin::
    [​IMG]

It does not get much better than this! :tongue::smile:
    Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You are right
    Does not get to much better
    What a thrill it must have been

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    What a great experience. :wink:

4. Must have been an amazing experience. Thanks for letting us share it a little. Maybe one day....

Lil