More on the way . . .

I’m more interested in the 24-105 and the 28 and 40 pancakes. I don’t get the 24-50 except in that it is the collapsible analog to the Z50’s kit Especially when the 24-70 f4 is so good

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I think it is a kit lens for lower end, I think tells us that Z5 will be lower entry level, sort of like a D610 (supposedly the biggest Full frame seller Nikon has made) Mde to hit a price point in the kit. I speculate USD $1295?

Plastic bayonet? With the wide Z mount could be a fair performer????

I’m more interested in the 24-105 and the 28 and 40 pancakes. I don’t get the 24-50 except in that it is the collapsible analog to the Z50’s kit Especially when the 24-70 f4 is so good

Apparently the Z5 is a Z6 sensor in a Z50 body. Could be interesting, but I wonder what will distinguish it from the Z6. Rumors say no top LCD. There must be some other missing features to keep it from drawing sales from the Z6.

I speculate USD $1295?
$1299. Nikon always prices to the 9s.

Real Name
Ian
These lenses do nothing for me personally.

The 24-70 f/4 is already compact, and only going to 50mm can be limiting. The 50/1.2 will be heavy and crazy expensive, and I doubt much sharper (if at all) than the 50/1.8. Same goes for the 14-24/2.8 vs 14-30/4.

Meanwhile, the 70-200/2.8 is still nowhere to be found. C’mon Nikon, don’t be the next Olympus...

Real Name
David
While the range of 24-50 seems redundant, it's hopefully a pancake zoom to create a jacket pocket FX zoom kit. Yes I would prefer a kit with both compact primes than this zoom (assuming they are really compact), but it's interesting.

If it does create a jacket pocket kit, it's another reason I like the path Nikon has chosen over Canon with bodies and lenses. All that's really missing is more information on the compact primes and a compact telephoto. An S-line f/4 70-200 or better yet an S-line f/4-5.6 70-300. While I preferred non-telescoping for my pro event glass*, something collapsible or just telescoping for this would be great to keep the size down.

* Bigger telescoping lenses like Canon's 70-200 f/2.8 would make me nervous in situation where the lens and hood could get knocked (like the events I use to work).

I think it is a kit lens for lower end, I think tells us that Z5 will be lower entry level, sort of like a D610 (supposedly the biggest Full frame seller Nikon has made) Mde to hit a price point in the kit. I speculate USD $1295?

Plastic bayonet? With the wide Z mount could be a fair performer????
I suspect you’re right in that it is a price point thing.

Apparently the Z5 is a Z6 sensor in a Z50 body. Could be interesting, but I wonder what will distinguish it from the Z6. Rumors say no top LCD. There must be some other missing features to keep it from drawing sales from the Z6.
No IBIS would keep the price down. More plastic in the build.......just guessing at this point.

I apologize I should have read the rumor instead of just commenting. I agree for that price it has to be missing features that the Z6 has. I could live without the top LCD myself. It could be an interesting reveal.

It’s interesting that Nikon were bashed for not releasing the f/2.8 trinity first, whilst Canon was praised for releasing those first. I see the f/2.8 lenses as being niche, only affordable by pros and “retired dentists” as they say, but I guess you need to get the likes of Jared Polin on bored to win the marketing battle.

Personally I think the f/4.0 trinity is a better idea when you consider size/weight and are happy to balance performance. I’d love to see a collapsible 70-200/4.0 to go along with the 14-30 and 24-70.

It’s great to see development though, and hopefully these new releases go some way to winning the YouTubers over - which I see as more important than traditional marketing now.

Real Name
Paul
It’s interesting that Nikon were bashed for not releasing the f/2.8 trinity first, whilst Canon was praised for releasing those first. I see the f/2.8 lenses as being niche, only affordable by pros and “retired dentists” as they say, but I guess you need to get the likes of Jared Polin on bored to win the marketing battle.

Personally I think the f/4.0 trinity is a better idea when you consider size/weight and are happy to balance performance. I’d love to see a collapsible 70-200/4.0 to go along with the 14-30 and 24-70.

It’s great to see development though, and hopefully these new releases go some way to winning the YouTubers over - which I see as more important than traditional marketing now.
The trouble is that there is such a wide range of needs/wants that whatever a manufacturer does is likely to be criticised. For me I’m never going to buy f2.8 zooms simply because I mostly do landscape so have much more need for compactness rather than wider max aperture. If I were a wedding photographer I might think otherwise. You can’t keep everyone happy all the time!

The trouble is that there is such a wide range of needs/wants that whatever a manufacturer does is likely to be criticised. For me I’m never going to buy f2.8 zooms simply because I mostly do landscape so have much more need for compactness rather than wider max aperture. If I were a wedding photographer I might think otherwise. You can’t keep everyone happy all the time!
I totally agree, you need both. You’re dammed if you do and damned if you don’t though. If a system starts with all the f/1.2 primes and f/2.8 zooms then the barrier to entry is huge and the only people able to afford to join the system would be the pros and dentists (which must be low percentage of potential users). Whereas if you start with f/1.8 primes and f/4 zooms (like the Nikon Z system), the system gets bashed by all the YouTube mouth-pieces, yet is much cheaper to get into and arguably meets the needs of the majority of users.
Unfortunately the system needs to win the YouTube battle against the very vocal Canon and Sony pro users. Hopefully these announcements will convince current Nikon users to stay with Nikon and maybe tempt some Sony converts back.

Real Name
Ian

That’s one of the reasons that Canon’s EOS R system had no appeal to me. Wih the exception of the kit 24-105 and the 35/1.8 Macro, none of the lenses are affordable.

With Nikon’s Z system, they’re producing excellent optics, but making them more reasonable f/1.8 primes and f/4 zooms (although the professional f/2.8 lenses are now coming). Those less expensive lenses are far more appealing to me, and still fantastic from an optical perspective.

That’s one of the reasons that Canon’s EOS R system had no appeal to me. Wih the exception of the kit 24-105 and the 35/1.8 Macro, none of the lenses are affordable.

With Nikon’s Z system, they’re producing excellent optics, but making them more reasonable f/1.8 primes and f/4 zooms (although the professional f/2.8 lenses are now coming). Those less expensive lenses are far more appealing to me, and still fantastic from an optical perspective.
I think the 'fantastic from an optical perspective' is the key here. Frankly between sensor performance and continuing improvements in noise reduction post-processing, f/4 is the new f/2.8. There are absolutely times when you need a faster lens but for the vast majority of use-cases for me, f/4 is just fine.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom