More ospreys from Sandy Hook

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike Mac, Tony (aka Anthony) and I had a fabulous day of shooting at Sandy Hook, NJ. Many thanks to Tony for setting this up and taking us to his favorite places. Between the three of us we must have taken close to 200 shots of Ospreys. Here are some of my favorites. Enjoy!

Gordon

2. Gordon, these are fantastic Osprey shots! I don't know why I like Ospreys so much but they're really fascinating birds. Good job!!

3. Great series Gordon, did a great job holding those highlights, nice and sharp too :) Doesnt get much better!!

4. Gordon, GREAT job! All shots are of the young osprey you can tell by the ring band. Please post some from the kamikaze osprey's from the other nest.

Anthony

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I can see that you have been getting in some practice lately. These are excellent flight shots. Must make you very happy (I know these shots would certainly please me ;-)).

All very sharp and well exposed, with excellent composition. Great job!!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

Great job. Beautiful shots.

Glad you guys had such a successful day.

7. Gordon
    Fantastic, lookign back I sure wish I had my 300 with us when we visisited the 2nd nest, another great day hanging out with you and Tony

8. Sure looks like you guys grabbed some great shots. These are fantastic - sharp, excellent composition. Really like #2

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Kevin. I agree. They are fascinating - and incredibly beautifu - birds. And thanks to Tony, we were in spots where we could have shot all day.

Gordon

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Keith. I took about 100 shots of the ospreys that were at the two locations Tony took Mike and me too. Not all the highlights held. :( But don't worry, you won't ever see them! :wink:

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Will do, Tony. I started with shots that filled the frame (except for the pose on the chimney), and for some reason I got more of these at the first location. Go figure!

FYI, my tern flight attempts weren't quite on. Most of them were in the center of the frame - which for me shooting with long glass from a tripod is a major step forward - but note were really sharp. More practice needed!

Many thanks again for guiding Mike and me to Sandy Hook. It was really fun and the ospreys - well, WOW> :D :D :D

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank! Yup, I've been practicing and it's beginning to pay off. But as I told Tony in my previous post, I've got a long way to go. All the osprey shots were handheld with either a 70-200VR at 200, or my basic flight shot lens, the 300/4. Later I tried my 200-400VR at 400 with a TC-17 (which I was using for small shorebirds on the ground) on some flying terns. You won't be seeing any of those shots! :lol:

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale! It was not only successful, it was a blast. We had lots of fun, and Tony is a great addition to the forum.

Gordon

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike -

The 300 is a fabulous lens for flight shots. The longest Nikon lens that is ealy to handhold and it's sharp and focuses quickly.

It sure was a fun day - great birds, great company. Again. Soon.

Gordon

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Sandra. Not to take anything away from any of our shots, but it sure helped that Tony took us to two places where the ospreys just wouldn't stop flying and posing for us. Never saw anything like it before. With Tony's guidance, I'm sure Mike and I will be back there!

Gordon