More pics of the E-M1 & new 12-40 2.8 zoom!

Dedicated HDR button. I wonder if that is a result of customer surveys.
Finally it has the grip that it deserves; if that plus a little extra overall size helps with handling and button placement, I'm down with that. It would eliminate the urge for some buyers to consider the add-on.

Dedicated HDR button. I wonder if that is a result of customer surveys.
Finally it has the grip that it deserves; if that plus a little extra overall size helps with handling and button placement, I'm down with that. It would eliminate the urge for some buyers to consider the add-on.

Interesting they opted for an HDR button, I would of preferred a dedicated ISO button instead. I'm sure they're programable though, as the E-M5 was quite flexible.

looks so pretty. No contest between this and Panasonic GX1.... GX1 has the same pic quality as OM-D EM5 according to most reviews. GX1 has a much inferior in body stabilization and the big no for me is: GX1 stabilization DOES NOT WORK in video mode. EM5 5-axis stabilization works brilliantly in video mode. I sold my last EM5 because the tiny buttons, the idiotic on-off switch, I just got tired of dealing with it. And I had to always use grip with it. EM1 answers all of the above: 1) grip is build-in, 2) on-off switch moves to the top like on modern Canons, 3) the buttons became larger.

Real Name
David
What i see is a big black dslr like camera with a big *** heavy black lens.

While it might look that way I can tell you the Nikon 24-70 is about the same length as your 16-35. And neither will fit inside the width of your palm as the picture of the 12-40 seems to, not including the hood.

You would really need the E-M5 and a typical DSLR for reference.

I haven't read a size comparison between the new Only lens and the existing 12-35 but the Panasonic lens is much closer in size to the typical 18-55 DSLR kit lens than it is a full size 24-70... Not that big or heavy

I think the size issue with the size of the lenses for these cameras is one of scale rather than simply dimensions. For me, the great attraction of µ4/3 is the small bodies and small, excellent prime lenses. Once the gear gets into the size range of the GH3/E-M1 and pro zoom lenses, I feel like I might as well go the Fuji X route and get the bigger, better sensor.

I think the size issue with the size of the lenses for these cameras is one of scale rather than simply dimensions. For me, the great attraction of µ4/3 is the small bodies and small, excellent prime lenses. Once the gear gets into the size range of the GH3/E-M1 and pro zoom lenses, I feel like I might as well go the Fuji X route and get the bigger, better sensor.

+1 But for professional use, could you live with the af of the Fuji X?

If I were maintaining two systems I would probably be less interested in the zooms (having had the standard collection of pro zooms with my Nikon gear), but since I've abandoned the DSLR world I'm very happy with the size and quality of the two available 2.8 zooms - FOV and light gathering capability in such a small package, and they are tiny compared to the 24-70 and 70-200 standards (I'm happy to leave the equivalent conversations to another forum). Since I own the Pany zooms I'm sure the new Oly will be better - I've fallen for that trick before - hopefully not again.

+1 But for professional use, could you live with the af of the Fuji X?

The great weakness of mirrorless cameras, in my neck of the universe where parties/receptions tend to be held in dark caves, is on camera flash. SLR's with PDAF focus very well with a projected pattern. A D7000 with a 17-55/2.8 and a SB800 focuses very fast and accurately, and the TTL metering is very good, even bouncing the flash. CDAF requires flashlight AF assist illumination and the µ4/3 cameras have a significant delay when doing TTL flash.

For available light, the Fuji is more of a challenge than the Olympus, but like sports, anticipation is the key.

Once the gear gets into the size range of the GH3/E-M1 and pro zoom lenses, I feel like I might as well go the Fuji X route and get the bigger, better sensor.

I've thought about this too but then I look at the crop factor of my M. Zuiko 75-300 and there's nothing APS-C wise in this price and size range...

Latest threads

Top Bottom