More Pitching...

The weather was a bit cool, but the light was sweet for the most part. All images taken with D2H and 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR handheld.

1/6000th second @ f/4 ISO 400 -0.7 eV
76932594.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/6000th second @ f/4 ISO 400 -0.7 eV with TC-14E II
View attachment 89813

1/6400th second @ f/4 ISO 400 -0.7 eV with TC-14E II
View attachment 89814

1/5000th second @ f/4 ISO 400 -0.7 eV with TC-14E II
View attachment 89815

1/2500th second @ f/4 ISO 400 -1.0 eV with TC-14E II and shot through a chainlink backstop
View attachment 89816

Great shots Frank! You are really putting your new toy to work to its full potential and the shots are just WOW!!! The first one is especially very sharp, great color and composition. The expression and sharpness on the last one is priceless. Well done my friend!!

Frank,

WOW! Crisp, clean, sharp, and outstanding colors. My favorite is the last one. Good shooting there my friend!

Thanks guys, you know, I always beat myself up because I try to get something technically pleasing. Well, while these aren't SI quality, I am pleased with my results for the most part. I tried so hard to pay attention to my settings and I had to be conscious of the passing clouds the covered my sweet ambient lighting. I was particularly pleased with the results when shooting with the TC. Today was good, I hope the next time brings me a bit closer to my goals. Thanks much for the kind words.

Great images Frank! I like #2, and #5 the best. All are very sharp, and good. I just like the bokeh on #2, and the facial expression on #5 the best!
Looks like a sweet lens in the hands of a good photographer!

Frank these are great images. Makes you apriciate the efort that goes into throwing that ball like these guys do.:smile:

Thanks everyone, on the recommendation of many, I am shooting handheld rather than on a monopod. I had some real nice light for shooting this game, but some clouds rolled in late. Looking forward to my next outing.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks everyone, on the recommendation of many, I am shooting handheld rather than on a monopod. I had some real nice light for shooting this game, but some clouds rolled in late. Looking forward to my next outing.

wow what muscles u must be getting
I don't like a mono for baseball but I suspect my new sigma 300/2.8 will kill me handheld for bb

tonight is it's 1st outing, a 6pm soccer game, and i'll use a mono for sure since soccer action is a little more predictable

Excellent great job nice to have some good light to work with. My only question is why handheld and not with a monopod, just curious

Some have commented to shoot handheld for birding because it allows for a more fluid movement while following the action. I am not shooting an entire game handheld these days, but I am giving handheld shooting more opportunity. The lens is a bit too heavy to shoot handheld for long periods of time, I have to admit.

Real Name
Randy
Some have commented to shoot handheld for birding because it allows for a more fluid movement while following the action. I am not shooting an entire game handheld these days, but I am giving handheld shooting more opportunity. The lens is a bit too heavy to shoot handheld for long periods of time, I have to admit.

it's not possible for me to swing any cam/lens combo on a mono from home to 2nd or 1st to capture a ground ball...
for soccer/fb/lacrosse where the action is more predictable a mono is ok if the lens is heavy

Thanks everyone....and yes, the lens does get heavy after a while. I shoot from a monopod for most of the game, but shooting handheld for a while does yield some nice results.

WOW, Frank! Handheld with that big ol lens?! I can't hold my 300mm f4 for more than 5 min without shaking! I do like the way you handled the lighting and contrast. Liked the expressions on those pitcher's faces too! Is this a minor league or pros? I don't know anything at all about baseball! With photos like these, I'm glad I have you for a teacher, coach, mentor, and friend!

Latest threads

Top Bottom