more serious about street portraits

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Great set Dirk. Saw these on the site and I must say that the color pics you showed there are very nice also!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beautiful portraits, Dirk!
With lovely out of focus rendering.
Thank you Bart! I have very high hopes, to improve on the out of focus rendering further, once I receive the adapter to use also my old Mamiya and Carl Zeiss lenses, as I love the more classic rendering better for this purpose.

These three shots here were all taken with the Leica 70mm aspherical lens, which simply is deadly sharp and contrasty, giving me a hard time, processing the files.

Awesome Dirk, they reflect your "in the face" style!! :smile:
Haha, Geoff, yes, thanks mate! Curiously, a friend of mine, with whom, I went shooting that day took a shot of me, while I photographed the second portrait here - I indeed look menacing - as you state: In Your Face!

… but honestly, it's not my intent - I am a nice guy … I hope ;-)

Just Amazing!!!! Dirk, You've Always Been An Inspiration To Me!!!
Wow Steve, I am honoured !
Too nice to write that - as I always say, I am just a guy with a camera, playing and having fun ;-)

I found for myself, that while it seems to be considered a negative thing to confess, I am inspired by gear!
Every new lens or camera really pushes you a little different.
Now with this stuff, I see, how much medium format really really pushes you to pay a lot more attention.

From the 170 shots, I took that day only a handful survived with most of the others giving me a major disappointment as of all the faults and failures, I have to improve upon the next time shooting!

Great work, Dirk!
Dossy, thank you ;-)

Great set Dirk. Saw these on the site and I must say that the color pics you showed there are very nice also!
Rob, thanks! Nice you mentioned that!

I am normally not a colour person, but have found, it is better for me to focus entirely on B&W.
Only with the different format did I found myself shooting again a bit more colour.
I liked it somewhat but tend to go back to focus entirely on B&W to the point, when I feel, I found the look I want with the new gear.

Here is one shot, I liked in colour - apart from being there so much detail to print this as a wall sized print and still reveal detail, I liked the subtile colours about it - I never got this look with 35mm …

portrait - frames and crosses by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

The weather was pretty bad for shooting street portraits during the day last weekend (nuclear power sun - something I will never like) - I hope for some nice dreary, rainy days coming up, which suits me better ;-)

Thanks Morten!
It is really absolute great fun and most inspiring for me to do this!

What do I enjoy most about it? The actual taking of the photographs and feeling the interaction with total strangers, when I approach people on the street ;-)

Try it for yourself - feels weird in the beginning but really get's you addicted after a while!

Wow Dirk, I really like those portraits. The first I find the most compelling and the color version has a very nice and soft feel.

Jan Jacob, thanks ;-)

I know, what you see regarding the soft feel - it really is the tones, that are different from 35mm.

There is one thing though about this 38MP sensor, that is absolutely not soft at all and really is very, very creepy sometimes ;-)

You can in this photo actually see the individual pixels of the print of her fake eye contact lenses !!!
The first photos, I saw this level of detail with a wide open lens really freaked me out!

Here is a ~ mild crop:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here is a screenshot from Lightroom showing her contact lenses lick on the image for a larger version) - yes, the fake eye colour on these lenses are in fact printed pixel by pixel by pixel, … spooky, isn't it?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Alan and Stephen!
Stephen, of course I normally do not post crops, but with this system, I am a bit shocked by the details, it provides with wide open lens!

It shows so much detail in fact, that you really have to choose subjects more carefully or a spotting session in Lightroom of hours can easily happen (in the case above, I had barely any work to do - she has great skin for a street portrait without the makeup preparation, usually done on a studio shoot).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom