More shots at Gatorland Rookery

Spent the afternoon yesterday at Gatorland, again. For Florida residents, when you buy an admission it's good for the rest of the year. Figured that will allow me to go back and practice quite a bit. ;)

I'm really beginning to appreciate this Rookery for the different perspective you can shoot flying birds. Being up high on either the 2nd or 3rd level gives you a background of either the trees/bush or the pond below. You still can do sky shots but I thought these would be more interesting.

With the water as a backdrop:
RookeryGWE.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With the pine trees as a backdrop:
RookeryGWE1.jpg

I saw this scene and was intrigued by it. It showcases life at the Rookery pretty well. The shot previous to this one was with the birds all looking at each other, like they were speaking. This one, they've got a cautious eye on the gator lurking just below them.
BirdsAndGator.jpg

Please feel free to comment. I've got more to pp and post of other types of birds.

Kevin,

These are excellent.
Boy they are looking at that gator for sure.

Can't wait to go.

Hope we can plan saturday
Dropped Doug a line also.

I do prefer the senery to be other than sky.

personal opinion I guess, but much prettier to me.

Great job. You are doing well

HAPPY FATHERS DAY :>))

Hey Gale,
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I like the varied backgrounds as well, but they aren't quite as easy as one might think. What I've noticed is that it's very difficult to use a large enough aperture to blur out the business of the trees while still maintain sufficient focus of the birds. These tree shots are exceptions. Some others of mine are beautiful bird shots but the backgrounds are very busy. May have to manipulate in PP ;)

I'm game to go next weekend. PM me when you know. Noon onwards is better since you're basically shooting east towards the birds.

Flew said:
Nice shots Kevin. I'm so envious that this is in the town where you live. 8)

Hi Frank,
Yeah, it's great to have this at my backdoor. When I saw your flight shots I realized how mine are lacking so I decided to keep going back to practice more. This time I tried closing down aperture a bit and was shooting manual at about f10/11. Oddly enough, with those settings both the white birds were exposed well and the gray birds too! I purposely tried to avoid sky shots and focused on shooting down on the birds since those settings were working so well.

Still realize I've got a ways to go to reach your level but I'm having fun trying to play catchup! :)

Thanks again for the encouragement and the continual offer to teach others.

..oops... I take that back...the gray bird shots were shot at a slightly different setting but it was much easier this time to switch between them.

Kevin

I have been the only photographer at Gatorland on the trips I have made. I was somewhat amazed to find no other shooters.

It wasn't until about the second hour on the first visit I slowed down and tried to be more selective on the shots. The first hour I shot everything I saw. Naturally a lot of bad ones.

Have you seen any ospreys there? My first trip they were all over the place. Second trip I didn't see any.

Russ

Russ Smith said:
Kevin

I have been the only photographer at Gatorland on the trips I have made. I was somewhat amazed to find no other shooters.

It wasn't until about the second hour on the first visit I slowed down and tried to be more selective on the shots. The first hour I shot everything I saw. Naturally a lot of bad ones.

Have you seen any ospreys there? My first trip they were all over the place. Second trip I didn't see any.

Russ

Yesterday I saw 2 Canon shooters, Rebel and 20D w/100-400. I tried to strike up a conversation but they weren't interested in speaking with me at all! :shock:

Funny you should mention the Osprey. Both times I've been there, I've seen at least one. Yesterday he put on quite a show. He circled the sky above the first set of ponds and was dive bombing. He did it about 3 times then left. I would've shot him but the scenery behind him was the storage sheds of the UHaul and OBT--not very attractive. But I enjoyed watching him.

Thanks Don!

You're right, Gilles. Just like a meeting. I thought it was funny: a big, menacing alligator lurking along the shores for his next meal, all the while with a bunch of bird poop on his back! Guess that's the thanks he gets for keeping the rats and snakes out of the birds' nests.

Latest threads

Top Bottom