More Skagit Eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Well as Bill has already posted. We are having just horrible weather here. Dark, wet and more darkness. Sure won't make anyone move here if they are visiting now. Being a life long resident of Washington, my web hands and feet are getting lots of use these days. Here are few shots I took with Bill on the Skagit. I did not use the tc on my Sigma 500 as it was just too dark. These are all shot at ISO 800 and pretty heavily cropped. Sure not my best of the year but it is all I could do.

This eagle pair was having a go at it over the fish on the river bank.
    original.

original.

original.

This immature eagle was eating the fish on the river bank when a fishing boat came up the river. It took off with the fish but dropped it on the way out. Here are a few of the series. Because the immature eagles have dark heads it makes it hard to get much detail on the eyes.

original.

This is just as it was letting go of the fish.
    original.

And this is it in full flight after dropping the fish.
    original.

Oh I can't wait to shoot in good light again. All the best for the new years.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Man such magestic birds and the weather won't cooperate. How disappointed you must be.
    But to be able to watch these birds has got to be just a fantastic experience.

You have done very well with the difficult lighting..or lack of it....

Good job

3. Great series James.
    Pete

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice captures Jim. Don't you just hate it when you get great subjects and the light won't come. :rolleyes:

5. Thanks Gale, can't wait for the sun to come out again but that may not be until next spring for me.

6. Thanks Pete. We need some of that normal sunny California weather for sure.

7. Boy don't you know it Frank. It is so frustrating to have the eagles show up for a few weeks in the winter and then to have the weather we are getting here now. What is worse is that my busy season is about to begin so I will only have one day a week to use my camera. It is so hard to see all the great action and not be able to capture it with the quality I would like. There is always next year. Since I have only been doing this for a year, I guess I can't complain that much. I have seen some really incredible stuff this past year.

8. Great series James. I think employers allow one sick day a month, so that now gives you 5 days a month to make it happen :biggrin: Just envious you have this out your back doors. If I leave now, I could make it to you by morning :smile:

9. Jim
    What can I say I am so jealous great shots it must be such a rush to see this many eagles

10. Thanks Keith. Yes, my employer is really evil. But then my employer is me so I don't have a lot of recourse either. It may be that a sun day will be in order if we ever get to see it again around here.