1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More Soaring - 5 shots

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by TXAvi8tor, Aug 18, 2009.

1. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    Checked out another instructor in our Duo Discus late Saturday. Gave me the rare opportunity to concentrate on photography while he flew. All are with the Tokina 12-24 ATX.

DuoEastheading_6788-10xP.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking East near our airfield, 12mm focal length, 2100 feet above the surface.

The altimeter is set to MSL - height above sea level. Our field elevation is 660 feet, so you must subtract that from the reading.

TA11_6767-10xP.jpg

Our airfield, bottom center. Shot through the open air vent, no plexiglass to distort IQ.

Birds_6802-10xP.jpg

Vultures!

This frame doesn't do justice to the sight of somewhere around 25 to 40 turkey buzzards circling in the same late afternoon thermal. I noticed two or three at our altitude and called them out to Gabriele, who was flying from the aft cockpit. As we turned in to work the lift, I noticed first a few more below us, then many, from a few hundred feet below all the way to our altitude. They swiftly climbed past us and disappeared. This is the best of several frames I fired as we circled around them. These seven, four in the middle and three more near the top right, represent only a fraction of the ones we saw.

OnFinal_6809-10xP.jpg

Coming down final to Rwy One Eight

The yaw string is a flight instrument; it shows whether you're slipping or skidding. It should always be straight, or a little to the outside in turns - unless you intend to spin. We rolled to a stop (the frame below) at the base of the 'Y.' It's only about 40% down the 3200' runway; perspective distortion makes it look further.

Gabrielle_6812-10xP.jpg

Gabriele, newly qualified in the Duo.

The windsock on the hanger in the background correctly indicates a healthy crosswind on final. He handled it well, touching down on the center line and tracking it almost 'til we stopped.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  2. Awesome :) 

I darned near flew into a flock of vultures this morning - hate those things....of course there's my user-name but, whatever.

I wish we had some glider activity nearby. The nearest place is a good 2+ hour drive. They always have a ton of trailers parked on the field but I haven't seen much flying activity lately.

3. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    The Soaring Society of America provides a state-by-state list of sites, both club and commercial. Perhaps there's one closer that you're unaware of.

I drive 70+ miles each way to our field, but it's absolutely worth it - I can't imagine not flying. Could you fly to the glider operation?

4. Yeah that's an option. There's another one that's a little closer, but not much. There are a couple of us that have talked about it over the years, and seaplane ratings too. Finding time is the problem :) 

5. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    Looks like alot of fun, not for me though, I'll keep to powered flight. My instructor flew a glider once though...accidentally...:rolleyes: 

6. Fightin14

Fightin14

Mar 4, 2009
    Middle TN
    you are a brave soul sir.

7. Very nice shotes! Loved them.

8. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Nice shots. Like the first one best.

9. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    We tell power-only pilots that the propeller is only there to keep them cool - shut it down & they break into a sweat! :biggrin:

The Duo provides better than a 40:1 L/D - at best glide it looses only 1 foot of altitude for every 40 feet of horizontal travel. Even our Schleicher ASK-21 trainers have an L/D over 33:1. It's not like you're going to fall out of the sky. In fact, in good lift, rates of climb over 500 feet per minute are common.

If you fly, or have ever wanted to, and have never experienced soaring, you don't know what you're missing. PM me if you live in or visit the DFW area and would like to find out.

10. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Propeller??? They still use those things?? :biggrin:

11. I loooooove the first one. I am not even sure why, but I do! Great series. Looks like it would have been a lot of fun!

12. Oh I so want to soar, that and a tandem jump are my goals this year or next. Cool pics.

13. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    Southern Eagles Soaring near LaGrange and Mid Georgia Soaring at Monroe are the two Georgia locations shown on the Soaring Society of America web site. Check the state by state map on the SSA site if northern Florida is nearer - there are operations near Jacksonville and Pensacola.

BTW, we wear chutes when we fly, but I have no desire to depart from a functioning aircraft.

hth,

14. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    How about a self-launching sailplane that burns kerosene?

15. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Now that looks like a right proper way to get a plane off the ground.

16. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    awesome images. good job!

17. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    I like the first one too; it captures the sensation of being in the cockpit. Flight is more fun than I can put into words - that's why I bring a camera along when I can.

Thanks!

I'm putting the new-to-me 12-24 to good use; Thanks!

18. Great shooting, thanks for the ride.

19. BTW, we wear chutes when we fly, but I have no desire to depart from a functioning aircraft.

Why might that be??? Aerobatics? If not ....... Why????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.