1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More "Square Shooter" portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 27, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I think these are great! I cropped one of mine in PP today to square but then worried that the 8x8 print will be pricey but what the heck!

2. Put a 2 inch white border at the bottom, have it printed as an 8x10, and then chop off the border.

3. i like #3 and 4 here, frank
    well done

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Frank - you are a genius! (and/or I am pretty stupid) - I think I paid $4.99 for an 8x8 from mpix when an 8x10 is maybe $1.99. THANK YOU!

5. I like #2 best, the skin tones/ white balance seem a bit off in the others.

6. Thanks for the input, but it's hard to judge WB when we use such diverse platforms... everything from CRTs to laptop screens. On my monitor, #3 has the best colors. I think the only way of pleasing everyone is to use black & white...

100659555.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

... but even then, brightness and contrast calibration differences make results vary from viewer to viewer.

7. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Good idea Frank. After you chop the 2 inch border off do you frame them? I haven't found 8x8 frames readily available. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

8. Personally, I prefer a larger frame matted for 8x8. But a Google search came up with a lot of sources for pre-made 8x8 frames. For instance, here's a bunch of styles from an ebay store...

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rusty-Roof-Frame-Shop_8x8-Picture-Frames_W0QQfsubZ18QQfrsrcZ1

9. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    I've been using a larger frame with a matte on my odd size prints too. Thanks for the lead on the 8x8's. I needed to expand my search area beyond Target and the local Art/Craft store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.