More Strobed Bball

This is the game I was supposed to be shooting:smile: Again, I'd love to get your thoughts on the lighting so I can fine tune for tomorrow.

426493501_L36hn-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

426494322_4QjJ8-L.jpg

426493836_unKAA-L.jpg

426498477_MoC5j-L.jpg

426497940_tqzFZ-L.jpg

426495542_DTujr-L.jpg

426496423_ayRH5-L.jpg

426496947_FDpwp-L.jpg

426494871_QqeHG-L.jpg

They look pretty good, lightwise. Some of the closeups seem OOF. What are you using for strobes? Light looks pretty consistent.

Hi Geoff. Thanks for your feedback. I see the OOF now that I did not see without your comments. The ambient was ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/500. The lights are just 2 AB800's (direct at full power) on the catwalks. I opted to only light one end (I only have 4 lights-that lets me leave 2 there and still have 2 for other jobs). The two lights gave me ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/250. That is 3 stops which should be enough to prevent ghosting. I am thinking the OOF may be from using 2.8 and not focusing accurately/quickly enough. I may push the ISO up so I can stop down a little today. What do you think?

Tracy, it looks like your lighting is doing the job. And I believe you're on the right track with your own analysis. With great iso like 200, you may consider increasing your shutter speed or shooting at f4, or both. Increased shutter speed may help the focus and f4 will give you greater DOF allowing more of the subjects to be in focus. With the iso's you're getting, I would probably try both. Just a thought. But you're 99% there when you've got the lighting nailed; the rest is just tweaking.

I like, how were the bee's for recycle times? I don't know if I could shoot sports without being able to burst away..

Thats a good way to gauge how decent you are a sports photographer. If you can grab THE shot in 1 shot, that is much better than just spraying and praying. I am very happy I started out shooting strobed hockey as it has taught me to learn the games, and anticipate the action instead of just hoping I can get it in the burst. Yeah there are times when bursts are good but I like a single shot better any day.

1/250 is probably the max sync speed of his camera.

The flash duration is his effective exposure, which should be more than enough to freeze the action.

Could try f4 at iso 400 or 5.6 at 800. Won't blow out the backgrounds as much though.

I think the light looks really good.

Gary

Tracy, it looks like your lighting is doing the job. And I believe you're on the right track with your own analysis. With great iso like 200, you may consider increasing your shutter speed or shooting at f4, or both. Increased shutter speed may help the focus and f4 will give you greater DOF allowing more of the subjects to be in focus. With the iso's you're getting, I would probably try both. Just a thought. But you're 99% there when you've got the lighting nailed; the rest is just tweaking.

Which team were you covering? If you are covering Chattanooga and follow them I might see you at a game! Howeve, nice shots, agree with all the others say bout the light oof on close ups.

Hi guys! I appreciate the feedback.

Keith-Gary is right about the sync speed...I was stuck at 1/250 and relied on the flash duration to stop the action.

Stewda-I was covering UTC, but live in north Georgia. I actually have covered a few events for GSU, so I hope to see you around!

Latest threads

Top Bottom