More studio practicing

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    We are trying to get some senior portraits of my daughter. Getting ones that she likes is a challenge.

Here is one she liked today. I would love critique and suggestions. Which version is the best?

I have to brag a bit. She was just chosen as an outstanding youth in our area for organizing a "Locks of Love" assembly at her school. Thirty four girls donated hair for children with cancer. She will be honored at a dinner at the end of the month sponsored by our local news station and our local newspaper.

original.

View attachment 87934

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Not a good pose.
    I would try a traditional pose.

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Hey Terri, fantastic portrait of your daughter. You are becoming a portrait expert on the cafe. You have made great strides in this department but we do not see any wonderful landscapes from you anymore. How come??

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Cause' she's indoors playing with the studio lights!

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Terri, I agree with Gale on the pose...the exposure, colors and everything else are technically very good. Someone showed me this link, it is quite helpful.

http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/index.html

I am currently struggling with natural posing. I find that it looks good in the 'studio' but doesn't translate well in the digital darkroom in two dimensions. I need to do some more reading...but Benji's site above has some great advice.

6. Terri, very nice. I tend to agree that pointing the ellbow towards the camera may not be everyone's taste, however without the other poster's comments about the pose I probably wouldn't have noticed.
    Like the BW conversion.

7. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Pose aside this is good work Terri. The lighting is very good. I am normally biased towards coloured images but for the above I like #2 better.

And congrats to her for being the chosen one!

8. Terry, would you kindly extend a sincere Thank You to your daughter for me.
    Prior to Sept 1998, my older sister, then 44, received hair locks from that Organization.
    But thats all I care to say about that.
    Beautiful pic as well : ~ )

Jim.

9. get her outside and relaxed
    It will probably take a couple hours for the relaxed feel to be conveyed to the camera

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Gale,
    I appreciate your honesty. Thanks. Honest feedback helps me to learn.

I've been at home helping my daughter take care of her newborn twins. Hopefully I can get out in the outdoors soon!

Thanks, there are a lot of rules to take in and try to remember, but some great information. Thanks so much for the help. Posing is definitely something I struggle with very much.

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks, Daniel. I guess there is so much to learn, which makes it fun. I like to get feedback here. People are honest, but kind.

Thanks for your feedback on the technical part of my photos. I'll learn the posing, eventually. It's so difficult for me.

Jim,
    Thanks for the link.

Locks of Love is a great program. It was so amazing to see the teen age girls who were unselfish enough to cut off their hair. One of these days I get around to posting some photos from the event.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to learn a bit about studio portraiture, but I have always loved outdoor portraits.

13. Your daughter is lovely and the lighting nice. I too am not a fan of the elbow jutting out toward the camera. I am interested in what lens you used as a moderate telephoto would foreshorten this some and not make the elbow so apparent in the shot. When using a chair I like to turn it around backwards and have them straddle the seat with their arms up on the back. I keep the chair at about a 45 degree angle to the film plane. I really like what you have been able to accomplish with your lighting. The new strobes are working for you.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho

Some good suggestions, Gordon. I used the 17-55 at 55mm for this shot. F8 and 1/200 if I remember correctly.