More swans with Bill Dewey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 24, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Definetly Jealous!

Great shooting !

2. Thanks Jim. It was a cold but fun morning. Happy Thanksgiving.

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Great shots Jim. I definitely would find some wall space for some of them.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG they are beautiful. Get a kick out of the squacking. Love the one with the big feet coming on in. :>))

Beautiful light.

Flight shots are great as well.

Good all the way around.

Hummmm good light in WA at this time of year :>))) lol

5. Thanks Harry. It was a fun morning and it was good to see Bill again after the long football season. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

6. Sweet shots James, Im envious..............beautifully done, two thumbs up
    original.

7. Thanks Gale. I did enjoy those landing shots. It reminded me of water skies.

8. Thanks Doug.

9. Many thanks Keith. It was a fun way to spend the morning.

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Jim -

Wonder full shots, especially the ones with mornig or evening light. Where were these taken? On the Skagit flats or whatever they are called. I don't know whether you are joining Bill and me next Friday, but would you recomment that the swans offer better photo ops than Juanita?

Gordon

11. Thanks Gordon:
    Bill and I went to a small lake, pond near the town of Snohomish, this morning. I arrived a little before Bill and the morning light was really great when the swans flew above the trees. We were both surprised to see so many swans this early in the season.

It is a lot of fun to watch the swans fly out in small groups after first light. While I like Juanita, many time it is slow and if you have a limited time, I would think about going to see the swans fly out.

I can't make your Friday session as I have a conference I need to be at on Thursday and Friday. I am sure you will have a good time with either location. Sorry I have to miss your trip. Bill said you would be out this way again. Maybe then we can get together. Have a good trip. Bill is a great guy.

12. Jim, it was GREAT to get out and shoot with you again, and the only thing that could have made it better would have been another 30 degrees or so on the thermometer. It was pretty cool to drive buy that farm field on the way home and see them all feeding as well.

Notice the similarity in the first shot we both posted? Same set of birds, yours is from slight earlier in the sequence, I picked my when it nothing but "blue sky". You'd think we were standing next to each other or something.

I was also thinking about suggesting to Gordon that we meet at this place, rather than Juanita. Given the number of birds there already, it is hard to believe the pattern will change any, and depending on his time we could always hit Juanita if we left here by 9AM or so.

Slight difference in weather today, isn't it? I don't think we would have as much luck today, but I am looking forward to exploring for Big Ditch and the owls on Sunday.

Oh, yeah, can't wait for the more MP so I can "high-speed crop" myself, it looks really good :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  13. Bill yes you will love the higher MP. For me I can get by with fewer CF cards with the HSC but since you have so many it should not be a problem for you to crop in the computer. This is one area where the D2x can save some money in the long run. One of the only places mind you.

Lets hope this rain stops and we find that sun on Sunday. It also looks like I picked a good day to go to visit my parents.

I agree I think the swans will be around in large numbers for the winter now.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

After getting Wowed by the 1st one I get to the last one and get Wowed all over again !!

Great work, Jim beautiful shots all of them.

15. Superb shots Jim. Wish I would have with you guys.

16. Louie we missed you. Today it is raining cats and dogs rather than swans. If it is nice out tomorrow do you want to go out or will you be doing your carpet then? I may go back and see the swans and then check out Spencer Island. If it is like this I will stay home and be bored.

17. Wow, these are spectacular inflight shots!!! You must be pleased with these, I would be!!!

18. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Jim -

I'm sorry you can't make next Friday, but there will be lots of othe opportunities. I used to come out from Philly to see my son and his wife about every three months or so. Now that I've got an adorable little 2 year old granddaughter it's more like every two months.

Gordon