More tabletop photos with D2x - JPG isn't bad at all!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by ednaz, May 11, 2005.

1. Rushed home from work with a quick stop at the grocer to grab some subjects for backyard tabletop photos to feed into my color series. In the rush, I forgot that I'd set the D2x to jpg fine the evening before, and so I shot for an hour with it set that way. I was crushed when I realized it, because with the D100 shooting jpg was only OK, and I was sure that I would not be able to get the rich, surreal colors out of the jpg.

Well, I was wrong. Very minor color adjustments to get them to match up with the other images shot raw other days. The inside of the flower image, with a pattern of fine crossing lines, is the kind of thing that should be rife with artifacts, but at 100% magnification on screen, no problem at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice colors!!! :D :D :D :D

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Outstanding images. The more I see from this camera, the more impressed I am - especially with its color rendition.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ed,

These images are excellent, so I can't disagree with your conclusion, but I'll be honest. I wouldn't even know how to process a straight JPG any more (and I shot about 10,000 of them before I started shooting RAW).... :lol:

5. Color rendition is what sealed it for me

When I shoot film, I only shoot the VS and Ultra Color stuff. I could get to where the transparency VS film goes with my D100. With the D2x ,I can get to where the Kodak Ultra goes.

I also "torture" the images a bit. When I'm shooting against a late evening sky, I will often shoot with WB on flash or daylight, and then process as one of the flourescent choices, that's where the rich skies come from. (That, and using a Kaeseman polarizer.) Sure beats trying to use half-filters on the lens. What blew me away is that the JPG could be processed to almost identical looks to what I do to the RAW images.

This camera's fantastic. Now, I want my efficient workflow back...hope Nikon and Adobe come to terms.