More Tamron 180 shots

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Jul 15, 2007.

1. These are from the Yard today. As someone else said here recently, there are fewer keepers in macro shots. I now can appreciate even more, the work of Jan, Jukka, Scott and so many others posting their wonderfully sharp images. They make it look so easy, when it is not.

These were cropped a little, resized for the web and had some USM. Hope you enjoy them.

One of my wife's Day Lilys
    822637518_04d20c2b9b_o.

Bee on her Cone flower
    View attachment 106230

Another Bee on Cone flower
    View attachment 106231

Humming Bird Moth ( don't know scientific name)
    View attachment 106232

Another shot of Moth (cropped and cloned out door mat lower right side)
    View attachment 106233

I am very impressed with the Bokeh of this lens. I have also tried it with my Kenko 1.5x Teleplus SHQ converter with fairly good results.

Thanks for looking.

2. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Good shots Tom. I've only seen those big moths early in the morning, way too early to attemp a shot.

3. Thanks Scott, these were taken just a few hours ago (around 2:00 or 3:00 pm) It was overcast, and didn't get very high shutter speed.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well you did one heck of a great job on these
    Beautiful

5. Thank you very much Gale. I appreciate your kind comment.

6. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Great series. Great exposures and captures. These moths are not easy to shot, I tried with not so good results. Good work. Thanks for sharing.

7. Great job on these, Tom. What a showy day lily-like that one in particular.

8. Thank you Jorge. Your kind comments are appreciated. This is the first moth of this type I have seen here for quite some time. I will be on the lookout for him/her now, though.

9. Thank you Dave. I will share your comment with my wife. She deserves the credit for all the flowers. I'm sure she will appreciate it, as do I.

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great shots. The color of that lily is amazing.

11. Thanks Torben. I had the D50 set for AWB and I did not do any color correction. I think it is pretty accurate to the actual flower. Thanks for looking and commenting.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Tom, that day lily is a "wowzer". However, your red channel is blown (maxed out at the very least) and I think you lost a little detail -- try dropping another 1/3ev and I'll bet it'll look even better:wink::wink:. [Thought I had the classification for that clearwing hummingbird moth handy, but I must have erased it.]

13. Bob, I'm not sure I did this correctly, but is this what you meant?

original
    822637518_04d20c2b9b_o.

reduced red
    View attachment 106235

My editing skills are rather basic. The first image was straight out of the camera. I just look for sharp contrasty images. I may learn to look for the details someday (lol), if you guys continue to help me out. I do appreciate the advice and always welcome CC.

14. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Tom, my apologies -- I didn't express my self clearly:redface:. According to your EXIF, the original was taken with -1/3ev exposure compensation. I meant that I thought the exposure compensation should be at least -2/3ev. As it stands, the original shot has several areas where the photosensors were maxed out with respect to red -- in other words, there was more red content than they could handle. Consequently, the processed image has less red (and less detail because of the sensor saturation) than nature intended. It may not be much in this case, but I was suggesting that you shoot it again.

Many red/orange/yellow flowers bother my eyes. In such cases, I've learned that they're probably too much for the camera too -- the only recourse is to add more exposure compensation. [When the image hurts my eyes as much as the flower did, I probably got it right:wink:.]

15. Nice photos, and there is something about cone flower macro that really appeals to me, they just look so cool close-up like that.

16. Thank you Victor. I'm glad you liked them. I appreciate your comments.

17. Apology not necessary Bob. I just took off on the wrong track thinking you meant reduce the red channel in PP. No harm done. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I didn't make it up your way this week. This retirement thing has made me even slower than I was. By the time I get my morning coffee down, it is lunch time. No sooner get through lunch and it is time for the wife to get home from work and before you know it, it's bedtime. Don't know how I had time to work all those years.

18. Tom!!

This is a terrific series. The day lily is beautiful and the humming bird moth is fantastic!! I tried to capture a few images, but they were too blurred. I think you did a fabulous job. Macro is so addictive! Have fun!!

19. Thank you very much, Crystal. Probably was lucky on the humming bird moth. Your shots of the swallowtails were beautiful. I have thoroughly enjoyed the macro lens since it arrived and it hasn't been off my camera.

20. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Retirement is HARD work! But, there's always tomorrow, and next week, and...
    How about Hemaris thysbe for the clearwing hummingbird moth. [Another critter that I have not seen for two years.]