More U6 soccer - looking for exposure advice in strong light

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Chris_B, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Today had bright sun light which proved to be harder to shoot in compared to yesterday's light cloud cover. How do you guys try to expose the shot? If I try to keep the highlights, the shadows kill most detail in their faces. If I expose for the player's face, much of the shot and especially the ball is lost. With these shots, I tried to keep the highlights and then brought the shadows up. I think I sacrificed a lot of contrast doing this.

These were my two better shots:

View attachment 93078

This one was more typical. Note the highlights and shadows.

View attachment 93079

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Chris, maybe some negative EV would help, that is what I would apply if faced with similar results. The composition is real nice, but the highlights are hotter than practical.

3. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks Frank. I had some -ev dialed in (between -.3 & -.7) for most of the shots already and looking at the histograms, most of the data was on the left side which makes me feel that I am close to severe underexposure already. Is that the right thing to do in these situations?

Here are two from above where I tweaked the levels by dragging the middle slider to the right. It gives me back some contrast but I do loose some shadow. I like these better but not really satisfied. Exposure is the thing I struggle most with. I am becoming happy with my framing and locking focus so all is not lost.

View attachment 93081