1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

More Wacom advide sought

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by kays, Aug 12, 2008.

1. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I was thinking of adding on to the other Wacom thread - but the more I got into it, the more it was becomming a hi-jack. SO - I'm sure NONE of you have EVER fielded THIS question before - Someone please humor me?...

I look at the Intuos and the price and just shake my head - and I'm just a bit ticked that it comes with software (Adobe Elements) I'll never use - and wonder...

Then I look at their new-ish $99 pad and pen - I hate to buy into and then move up, but I've never used a pad before and would be even more ticked should I not like the expensive pad.

I've read the different specs on the pads - but in really using them, what does it mean? What will drive me to the nut house because that feature is missing on the "cheap" pad - and what is on the Intuos that is just a bell or whistle?

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    First it boils down to your particular type of workflow. If you do a lot of pixel level editing, you will really get a lot more satisfying experience using the more sensitive and precise Intuos. If you don't do a lot of editing and just want to play around with a pad, go cheap. I got the Intuos 6x11 and love it - when I need it - which is pretty infrequently (fortunately?). You can do a lot with the less expensive pads, but like glass, you DO get what you pay for...

3. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I just picked up a Intuos3 6x8 on buy.com this week. I've only had it 2 days and still getting used to it. Although I'm not a student, I got the Academic pricing through them for $289 with shipping. It comes with the pad, pen (with extra nibs) and mouse. The only other thing in the box is the drivers for windows and mac. I didn't want to pay for software I would never use either so I gave it a shot since the price was nearly $100 cheaper that I've found elsewhere.

The reason I chose the Intuos3 was a recommendation from a friend who is a graphic designer. She has had the bamboo in the past and said it was crippled compared to the Intuos3 as far as pressure points, pen angle adjustments and overall precision. I've never used the bamboo so I'm taking her word for it. She has the 9x12 and I felt like my hand and arms had to do too much traveling across the pad for my taste so I went with the 6x8. The pad surface maps out the entire screen dimensions by default. I believe you can change it to be whatever you want it to be. The mouse only works when it is on top of the pad surface but the slider controls on the sides of the pad make scrolling very easy for me.

This is my first pen tablet and I will admit it takes some getting used to. I'm willing to give it a try and see if it works for me or not. If not, there is always the for sale forum :) 

4. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Vinman, Joe,
    Thanks for the insight. Im my mind, I believed the Intuos was the right tablet - I guess I was hoping that the Bamboo would have been usable - crippled is a powerful word.

The comments on the sizes uere useful, too. I guess I'm stuck - not knowing if I'll even like a pad - settling on a size, and it just ain't cheap and way outside my experimental budget with all those other issues unresolved.

I do thank you both.

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Just to add a different view - it is true that it really depends on what you will be using it for. If you are a graphic artist - using it to draw in photoshop - you will be happiest using the best you can and the Intuos 3 is great stuff.

If however, you are using it for the occasional touchup, smudge drawing, etc - you might be just as happy with the bamboo. I purchased a used graphire 2 - doesn't have all the angles or sensitivity of the newer models - but I love using it to touch up my photos. It has great feel and is certainly sensitive enought to get the smallest touch from my hand. Again - Im not a graphic artist who draws from scratch - if you aren't either - I would just give it a shot. Like the earlier poster said - it will be sold on the BS forum in a couple hours for only perhaps 10% off - a great price for trying to save $$$.

Good Luck!

6. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks, Pesto126.

7. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    welcome.. Good luck with the purchase...

8. I have the Wacom Bamboo Fun and LOVE it. I use the pen almost all the time now. IMO, lots of bang for the buck.

9. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    As it has been talked about, it all boils down to usage. From the get go, I never have liked to work with a mouse. That comes from use in the drafting field. I started out working with mechanical pencil, then ink, then CAD drafting came about and most companies used a keyboard and mouse. A few used digitizing boards(a precursor to the tablet) with a puck which was like a mouse. When I came into the computer era, I quickly adopted a track ball, and now use it along side my 6x8 Intuous II. When it came down to decide if I wanted a tablet, I asked myself if I wanted to edit with a stylus(a pen/pencil like device which I was use to) or did I want to draw with a bar of soap! Which was more natural? For me, it was not a hard choice. As far as which one, I took the one that would give me the most sensitivity that was available at the time. I wouldn't be without my Intuous, but that's my choice and you have to decide what you want to do.

10. I_media

I_media

May 16, 2007
    Norway
    We (my girlfriend is a graphic designer) have a Bamboo Fun, Graphire4 and a Intuos3. She can make the most wonderful thing with all of them, it's all about knowing how to use the tool.

If you get the Bamboo and have a laptop and a desktop, and like to upgrade to a Intuos later, you may use the Bamboo with the laptop for travels and meetings. The Intous is a huge piece of tablet compare with the tiny Bamboo.

11. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi,
    I struggled with the same decision for way too long, primarily because I'm cheap.
    Lately, I have recognized that whenever I cheap out, I usually regret the limitations I have imposed on myself by doing so and find myself with a "less" desirable product to try and sell. Whereas, if I take the plunge and buy the better one (within reason) I not only am happier with the tool but the resale value is also there if I choose to change my mind.
    Thus, with this logic in hand, got the Intuos 3 and love it. Working in NX2 with selections is very positive and satisfying.

good luck,
    dale

12. I just spilled a drink inot my intuos 6 x 11 and ruined it. I have been using them for three years and am lost without it...

13. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have a Wacom Intuos3 4x6 tablet, but I never got comfortable with it. Then they came out with the Cintiq 12WX and I love it! There is nothing like working directly on the image.

-- Russ

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.