More Water Lilies from Longwood LARGE IMAGES

G

Gordon Large

Here are some more photos from the day Mike Mac and I spent at Longwood Gardens. Thanks for looking, and enjoy!

Gordon

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - Not a great flower or shot, but I liked the bee.....

View attachment 12566

#3 - and this enlargement again shows what the D2x can do.

View attachment 12567

View attachment 12568

View attachment 12569

#6 - And finally, this flower topped a fairly tall bush in the middle of the Lily Pond. Can anyone tell me what it is?

View attachment 12570

G

Gordon Large

VPT said:
Very nice Gordon. #6 is lotus.

Vinh -

Thanks for the ID and nice comment. Those are some of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen. Hope I did them justice.

Gordon

Great pictures Gordon. I see that you didn't waste your time this past week.

I especially like #4 and #6. Great light and texture.

Did you change your mind about Cape May?

John

G

Gordon Large

sfoxjohn said:
Did you change your mind about Cape May?

Hi John -

Thanks for the nice comments about my lily pix. The answer to Cape May is yes/no. :? I got advice from some birder friends that it is 2-4 weeks before the migratory birds start showing up. So I decided that any trip should be postponed. Sorry I didn't get back to you about this. Then another birder friend called on short notice and said "meet me at the Plymouth Mall at 3am tomorrow so we can get to Cape May by sunrise." I agreed. Big mistake. We saw very few birds and spent all day in 90+ sunshine and just about killed ourselves. So be glad I didn't contact you! I'm going to post in the Place to Shoot / Special Sessions forum to see if we can get a group down there in 3-4 weeks. Keep a watch on that forum to see how it develops.

Gordon

Dang, Gordon! I'd buy #1 if I weren't so cheap! ;) These are really great. You've been holding out on us. Glad to see you posting these fantastic shots!

G

Gordon Large

Kevin Scott said:
Dang, Gordon! I'd buy #1 if I weren't so cheap! ;) These are really great. You've been holding out on us. Glad to see you posting these fantastic shots!

Thanks Kevin! How do you know what the price of #1 is? Whatever it is, you just increased it. Supply and demand and all that stuff. :wink:

I haven't been holding out. You just haven't seen my flower pix before. I've been doing this a lot longer than shooting birds. And flowers stay in one place. You don't have to sneak up on them. Compose as long as you want. Take a shot, check histogram and blinkies, repeat as needed. Pretty easy, although I do think you need to be able to know what you want to accomplish and how to do it, and you have to be able to "see" the resulting image.

Maybe the next time I see you I'll be able to do this well with birds too!

Gordon

Gordon Large said:
I haven't been holding out. You just haven't seen my flower pix before. I've been doing this a lot longer than shooting birds. And flowers stay in one place. You don't have to sneak up on them. Compose as long as you want. Take a shot, check histogram and blinkies, repeat as needed. Pretty easy, although I do think you need to be able to know what you want to accomplish and how to do it, and you have to be able to "see" the resulting image.

Gordon

And...flowers don't complain about the end result! :lol: Gordon, these images are wonderful. I especially love the way your captured the details of the water lily in the first image. I have a lot to learn. Which lens did you use?

G

Gordon Large

CrystallP said:
Which lens did you use?

Thanks Crystall. I used the 70-200VR. At the lily pond I sometimes used the TC-17E II to get the flowers in the middle of the pool. Later you will see my indoor pictures, and for some of them I used a Kenko 12mm extension tube. In case you aren't familiar with extension tubes, they allow any lens to focus closer, and with the 70-200VR I can get up close and personal with small flowers. I also have a Kenko 25mm, which has an even greater effect and gets you into real macro country, although not as well as a dedicated macro lens would.

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

mike mac said:
Very nice Gordon another great series, it sure was a productive day, woudl liek to go back in the fall

Thanks Mike. No better than yours. You're on for the fall. I would really like to go when there are some outdoor flowers that are photographable. (New word.)

Gordon

Latest threads

Top Bottom