More Wild Mountain Goats-Olympic Mountains-WA State

I hike high up in the Olympics in search of, Wildlife. This summer, its all about the Mountain Goats for me...But they are up high, so you have to be willing and able to make the hike to their homes and sometimes, they come to say-Hi!
Family (1 of 1).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But as with all Wild life, you have to understand and read their expressions. This one from the Male on the right was not of WELCOME, but more of.. What the Hell are you doing here. He was not pleased to see us and his demeanor told that. Protection of the young. So my hiking partner and I, waited around 40 minutes until they moved on as this is their home and we were visitors, so I am all about being a good Steward. Eventually they moved on, but not without their version of, giving us the Bird per say. But if you are aware, you can be safe. I also carry a small Air horn that does the trick if they get, too aggressive, as its loud and high pitched, but that is the last resort.

hillside (1 of 1).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
thanks Nick.. I have read where people say the Goats in the Olympics are aggressive. Sure they can be, if you are not aware, read the signs and not SAY, this is my trail in their house. But these guys will soon be gone from the Olympics, being relocated to the N. Cascades, but that is a different topic that need not be discussed. Aug 18th they close this part of the Olympics for capture and then no more Wild Goats in the Olympics, so I have 1 more month or 2 more hikes to get up there. I have done 3 in 2 weeks. The good thing is my quads are no longer sore from the hike down from the top.. plus I love watching them. But only take a 70-300 and a 28-105 lens as the 200-500 is just too heavy to haul up n down I have found.

View attachment 1641977 thanks Nick.. I have read where people say the Goats in the Olympics are aggressive. Sure they can be, if you are not aware, read the signs and not SAY, this is my trail in their house. But these guys will soon be gone from the Olympics, being relocated to the N. Cascades, but that is a different topic that need not be discussed. Aug 18th they close this part of the Olympics for capture and then no more Wild Goats in the Olympics, so I have 1 more month or 2 more hikes to get up there. I have done 3 in 2 weeks. The good thing is my quads are no longer sore from the hike down from the top.. plus I love watching them. But only take a 70-300 and a 28-105 lens as the 200-500 is just too heavy to haul up n down I have found.
It always amazes me the places that they can climb. Hope you didn't try to follow them!!

Real Name
Chris
Awesome shots! I so very much miss my home state / town. I never truly took advantage of it when I lived in the Olympics.

No Terri, I did not try to follow them...I always give them a lot of space, but they go where no man/woman can go.. its amazing how they hang on a cliff or wall.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom