Morel

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Bob Coutant, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I always photograph the first one of the year. [Today was also marked by the first appearance of the wild asparagus:biggrin: :biggrin: .]

DSC_1631sm.

2. Thanks for showing me what they look like Bob. I've recently moved just south of you to Chillicothe and several folks at the plant where I work have talked about "Mushroom Hunting" and tried to describe it to me. I'll take this shot to work to confirm this is what they're talking about.

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    They're definitely not the prettiest thing you'll find in the woods, but once you try them, you'll be hooked. BTW: There are no poisonous mushrooms that look like this.

4. Agreed, but easy enough to eat the wrong one
    http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels2.shtml

5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Good link and good reminder that there are false morels! One of the better displays and comparisons of good and bad mushrooms is one that I saw in one of the museums on the U of M campus many years ago (40+). I assume it's still there.

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shot, Bob! I too am a Morel lover, though I've never been hunting for them myself.

How do you prepare them? And how does wild asparagus compare to commercially grown? Thanks!:smile:

7. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Leigh. I like them gently sauteed in butter, but people use them almost any way that commercially grown mushrooms are used. They are more delicate than most other mushrooms. As for the asparagus, I can't tell the difference. I tried several times to grow asparagus, but it never prospered. Then, about 20 years ago, we found some growing in a couple of places in one of our pastures -- I'm careful to not give it any care lest it would fall victum to my farming skills:biggrin: .