Morning bike ride

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Yvette, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Lake Houston is just a mere 10 minute bike ride from our new home so this morning I decided to venture out there after dropping the young ones off at school. It is so pretty there and hopefully I will get to spend many peaceful mornings there.

kingspoint2.jpg

kingspoint4.jpg

kingspoint3.jpg

kingspoint5.jpg

kingspoint1.jpg

2. Yvette,
    cycling and photography, best of both worlds combined, excellent!
    Kevin P.

3. Way to go, Yvette. That's a sweet catch of the Great Egret having lunch :).

I like to bike to the lake, too. Just make sure to have a secure pack. We were just discussing that yesterday on another thread.

I've tried backpacks (not comfy for long rides), slingpacks (unbalanced), and bungee cording shoulderbags to my mountainbike rack (squashes the contents and occasionally falls off). Imho, the best solution is a pack designed for a bike and modified for camera use, like this rear rack pack from JANDD. Solid as a rock, well padded, and I can take it off the bike in 10 seconds and use it with a shoulder strap when I reach my destination. This model sells for $48, and they specifically cite use as a camera bag.

RearRacPacI.jpg

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRRP

Here's my ride... a comfort bike... with the rack pack installed.

101714564.gif

4. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Kevin. I have to agree with you. Although I am very new to the cycling. But I have to say, I really enjoy it.:smile:

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks so much for that info Frank. I have been trying different bags/backpacks everytime I go out to try and find something comfy. I also get very hot with a backpack so this looks like the perfect solution. I am very new to cycling though and never really rode a bike growing up so I am still a little shaky which makes me nervous. All I can think of is falling and breaking the camera. Hopefully that won't happen but that bag looks like it is nicely padded incase I do fall. I think I will need to invest in one.:biggrin:

6. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    First you innocently start a thead, Yvette, and within minutes you're buying camera gear. :biggrin: This cafe is SCARY!

Looks like a great lake you've discovered! I'd bring my bathing suit along in my new rear rack pack if I were you. And a fishing pole, which will get you some great blue heron friends.

But the big question is: how many times can you say Rear Rack Pack in a row?

7. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    :smile:Ha Ha Pia. That is a mouthful. Well my boys did swim on Sunday but I have heard that there are a couple of gators around so I think I will give that a miss. However, the fishing pole does sound like a good idea. Just not sure how I will keep my balance with the camera PLUS a fishing pole. :biggrin:And you don't need to tell me how scary this cafe is. My husband not only wants to kick himself for buying me the camera, but he also wants to kick his friend who told me about Nikoncafe. I have way more than I started with and of course......I still need more.:biggrin:

8. nice shooting, yvette
    i appreciate you sharing them with us

9. devrules81

devrules81

Nov 13, 2007
    Georgia
  10. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Greg.

Thank you.