Morning has broken at Crater Lake

Another picture from a trip to several national parks in California and Oregon this past June. (Previous threads with a pic from Redwoods and a pic from Yosemite).

Like the Yosemite shot linked above, this is a cell phone shot with my Samsung S21 Ultra. My rented Z6ii was in the car, but I left there for reasons I can't quite remember.

I'll never forget this sunrise. We had a beautiful drive from Crescent California almost all the way into the park, but then it got cloudy as soon as we neared the park, started raining and rained all the evening we were there and most of the night. I erased any hope of doing any photography in gray, rainy weather. But during the night, my companion awoke to use the restroom (we camped) and informed me upon returning the night sky was nice. In my half-awake fog, I realized the sky must have cleared. So I told him to set an alarm and for us to try to shoot sunrise.

It was cloudy at our campsite (along Diamond Lake to the north) when we awoke, but it looked clearer to the south. Luckily, it was clear around the lake. But we were short on time, and then I couldn't find the spot I'd wanted to shoot sunrise from (a tower/observation point with a short trail that led up to it). He got out at one point at a different location as I looked for somewhere else. Finally, I gave up and just pulled over here a few minutes before the sun rose.

I don't know if it was fear of missing out that I didn't get the Z6ii out, or if I just didn't want to mess with it, or if I intended too but just got too caught up in the moment. And get caught up in the moment I did. It was a gorgeous, golden vista that develpoed in front of me. And it was a quit unlike anything I've ever experienced. For being so close to a major body of water, there was no sound at all. All I could think of were those words from John Muir: "One learns that the world, though made, is yet being made; that this is still the morning of creation."

So not a stellar composition or anything, and I definitely wish this had the optical quality of that of a 35mm sensor, but still a decent scene.

Look forward to getting back to Crater Lake sometime.

20210614_054810-Edit-2.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Congrats on a beautiful sunrise! And the composition is very nice also!

You don't NEED a top end camera to capture a nice image.
Phone cameras have gotten scary good.

What is important is what is between your ears, to capture it however YOU want to.
And maybe a bit of manipulation in post, to make it "YOURS."

1634075393587.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think it is a "keeper."

I like a darker/richer sunset/sunrise.

Real Name
Ken St John
We've been to Crater Lake a couple of times, and I find it difficult to get great shot like this as I don't get out on trails as much any more and have to stay pretty close to the paved areas. Sometimes the best picture we can make is with the c camera the have ... and this is a wonderful image of the lake.

FWIW - I've found that printing an image from my iPhone is wonderful up to about 8x10, so this could still look wonderful on a desk or wall!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom