Morning Portrait "Change"

While at the train station waiting for the shuttle to bring me to work, I spotted this gentleman and thought it would make a nice shot...

What do you think? D2hs 85 f/1.4 at f/2.

342467696_3EXJH-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fascinating is the word that came to mind, I'm not sure why. But I do like this!
Perhaps a B&W conversion would be nice too?

Fascinating is the word
showthread.php
that came to mind, I'm not sure why. But I do like this!
Perhaps a B&W conversion would be nice too?

Thanks Linda! You :guns: people for money?? Let's talk!! :biggrin:

As you suggested...smugmug bw conversion...one click and done:

342492036_ZMEGC-XL-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the B&W conversion. I, like you, usually miss the small things. But, ironically, this was the first thing that drew me in this picture, the cross on Obama's forehead.

I like the B&W conversion. I, like you, usually miss the small things. But, ironically, this was the first thing that drew me in this picture, the cross on Obama's forehead.

Hey Anthony!! I was about 25 feet away from him, and didn't notice it at all. The shirt caught my attention - and that's was made me take the shot. I may crop just the cross/shirt from the image and submit it to Barack Obama's myspace page... :biggrin:

Yeah--The B&W is stunning! Nice work!

Thank Nick. I appreciate the comment!! I may take the original and "tweak" a bw version in CS3 when I get home, I generally like a little more contrast in the few BW conversions that I do.

I spotted this gentleman and thought it would make a nice shot...

What do you think? [/IMG]

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but why did you think it would make a nice shot? What was it about this image that made you want to capture it? After looking at the photo several time, I cannot get past thinking it's a guy walking down the street with a cross around his neck wearing an Obama t-shirt and holding a banana. i.e. there is no theme or message that jumps out at me so regardless of who the person is or what he is wearing, it would be the same image to me. At first, I thought there may have been some hidden juxtaposition in the image to go with the title of change but did not see it.

Just my $0.02 if it's worth that much. In terms of full and fair disclosure, I have been a Reagan Conservative all my life. While I am not going to vote for Obama, I am not voting for John McCain either so the above comments are about the photo as opposed to a political statement about the presidential election.

I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but why did you think it would make a nice shot? What was it about this image that made you want to capture it? After looking at the photo several time, I cannot get past thinking it's a guy walking down the street with a cross around his neck wearing an Obama t-shirt and holding a banana. i.e. there is no theme or message that jumps out at me so regardless of who the person is or what he is wearing, it would be the same image to me. At first, I thought there may have been some hidden juxtaposition in the image to go with the title of change but did not see it.

Just my $0.02 if it's worth that much. In terms of full and fair disclosure, I have been a Reagan Conservative all my life. While I am not going to vote for Obama, I am not voting for John McCain either so the above comments are about the photo as opposed to a political statement about the presidential election.

Thanks for viewing and comment on the photo Alex. In my eyes, for a street candid, it's a nice shot. It's a nice shot that's similar to the street candids I like to take on my way to/from work. As stated earlier, I didn't notice the cross he was wearing from 25 or so feet away. Does it add something to the image for me, now that it's been pointed out? Absolutely, but I didn't shoot with that in mind. On the street, I shoot because I can, not with a theme or story in mind. Is this image capable of evoking a conversation? I believe it is...

In all honesty, what initially caught my eye was the Barack Obama T-shirt. The title of the post is "Change" because that's what the shirt says. It's also called "Change" because shortly after I took the photo, this gentleman who was apparently homeless, asked me for some "Change" to get something to eat. Ironic, huh?? I thought so too, but as I said, I didn't shoot with that in mind, nor did I know his situation.

Lastly, while I'm not really much for politics, the American in me will have me voting for Barack Obama - hell, I'd carry the man's luggage for free if he asked...

LOL :cool:

I like the B&W.

Thanks Linda. :biggrin:

Hi, Keith --

Lastly, while I'm not really much for politics, the American in me will have me voting for Barack Obama - hell, I'd carry the man's luggage for free if he asked...

Always looking for the photo op, eh? :tongue:

Seriously, I think this fits well in your 'theme' of street candids you began some months ago. I always enjoy looking through your eyes on your way to work ...

Best Regards,

Excellent image Keith. What makes for wonderful contrast is the man in the BG that appears to be in a business suit. Two different people with very different lives. IMO your image tells a compelling story - the exact details of which I will never know. Kudos to you for spotting and "making" an emotive image.

Tricky shot to pull off with the 85 1.4 BTW.

hell, I'd carry the man's luggage for free if he asked...

Oh no there we go again. Enter that into FotoQuote, I am sure there is an amount that would be considered a fair and reasonable charge for that service. :cool:

Hi, Keith --

Always looking for the photo op, eh? :tongue:

Seriously, I think this fits well in your 'theme' of street candids you began some months ago. I always enjoy looking through your eyes on your way to work ...

Best Regards,

Thanks John!! I really appreciate the kind words! If my selected kit wasn't so bulky, I would bring it with me more than once or twice a week...

Excellent image Keith. What makes for wonderful contrast is the man in the BG that appears to be in a business suit. Two different people with very different lives. IMO your image tells a compelling story - the exact details of which I will never know. Kudos to you for spotting and "making" an emotive image.

Tricky shot to pull off with the 85 1.4 BTW.

Thank you Fred. There are tons of different stories walking through Newark's Penn Station on a daily basis, this is the first one I was able to capture a piece of.

Oh no there we go again. Enter that into FotoQuote, I am sure there is an amount that would be considered a fair and reasonable charge for that service. :cool:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

the pose of his head does not correlate to the image of Obama. If he were looking up in the same direction as Obama, it would be a hit

Last edited by a moderator:
No political statement here, but me being a conservative, and my sister a liberal, and we have a wonderful relationship, usually say we cast each other's votes out! 'Change' as is on the tee.... she isn't voting this year either. So I guess Alex, that your non vote and her non vote cancels each other out. Hope the change for America either way is a positive one.:biggrin: I will be working at the polls this year and looking forward to serving our country in that way.

I like the B&W version Keith. I think the shirt color stands out too much in the original but the second brings everything together for me.

What exactly are you waiting for... bus, EL?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom