1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mosquito larva

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Duncan C, Aug 17, 2008.

1. We have a self-filling watering station for our cat. It has a jug that empties into a water dish. It stays full for weeks at a time.

I recently decided to dump the last bit of water and change it. I dumped the water into the bathtub. I noticed some odd "stuff" in the water. When I looked closely, the "stuff" was moving.

When I looked even more closely, the "stuff" appeared to be some sort of insect larvae.

Our dog took sick recently, and I was worried that it was some sort of parasite, so I decide to photograph the larvae. I posted the image to bugguide.net, were somebody told me that it was mosquito larvae, as I thought it might be. On the one hand, this is reassuring, since they are not harmful to ingest. On the other hand, it's more than a little disgusting.

Here is an image of a whole larva:

large.
    (click the image for a larger version with EXIF data)

A closeup of the tail:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    90mm    f/16.0    1/250s    ISO 100

And of the head:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    90mm    f/16.0    1/250s    ISO 100

These larvae are tiny. I estimate the whole thing is about 3 mm long. I shot it with my Tamron 90, plus all 3 of my Kenko tubes, totaling 68 mm. That combo gives a little more than 2:1 magnification, if my measurements are correct.

I lit the image with a pop-up diffuser attached to the front of the lens.

C/C welcome, as always.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Holy cow Duncan! Amazing shots here... Is the cat's watering device outdoors?

3. That's the scary thing. The watering dish is in the master bathroom in our house.

4. Wow... They get into everything I guess!

5. Mosquito larva in the house.

Apparently. Disgusting, isn't it?

6. disgusting yes but thanks for showing what I can get with my same setup should I ever wanna try,

glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.