Mosquitoes in Alaska?

Real Name
Dan
You decide....

This was part of a safety message at my workplace reminding people to put bug dope in their tool boxes. Like they're going to forget....:rolleyes:

p1833255479-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OMG! :eek: Is it like that everywhere throughout the state? My niece just left on a trip to Alaska on Thursday and she is super sensitive to bug bites!

Real Name
Dan
OMG! :eek: Is it like that everywhere throughout the state? My niece just left on a trip to Alaska on Thursday and she is super sensitive to bug bites!
It's not that bad everywhere but there are skeeters everywhere. In some locations we have biting black flies that are much worse than mosquitoes from a standpoint of skin irritation. She better carry a can of OFF with her everywhere she goes. Where is she headed?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Great shot to get the message across! Thanks for posting! Most folks can't really imagine what it's like.

We took the sponge on application of Deet as that eliminated the need to get it all over our hands. Thanksfully we only used our headnets once! However, black flies were indeed worse than the mosquitos!

It's not that bad everywhere but there are skeeters everywhere. In some locations we have biting black flies that are much worse than mosquitoes from a standpoint of skin irritation. She better carry a can of OFF with her everywhere she goes. Where is she headed?

I don't know her full itinery, but I know that it includes Denali NP.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Denali is the one place we used our head nets! At the road end at Wonder Lake!

Real Name
Dan
What Karen is referring to is that the repellent keeps them from biting you. But sometimes they can get so thick that one needs a headnet to keep them out of eyes/nose/mouth. When they are that bad photography really gets tough :frown:

In May it is not unusual at all for us to be out walking the dogs in knee deep snow and fighting off mosquitoes. It just doesn't seem right somehow...

The below photo was made at Wonder Lake on the western side of Denali National Park, 6/16/2004. My wife was standing next to this young lady and she was wearing Ex Officio "Buzz-off" pants. She had zero mosquitoes on her legs.

DSCN0640-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Surprisingly, I found the Alaska mosquito bites to be quite mild. Our southern mosquitoes raise big welts that itch angrily for a couple of hours; not so the Alaska variety. May just be my immune system...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom