Most recent zoo visit

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JeffKohn, Jun 7, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Since it doesn't cost anything to go (have membership), it seems like the zoo is becoming my "default" shooting location if I've got some free time and want to go shoot something but can't think of anything else. But I haven't gotten tired of it yet and it's good practice. Anyway here are some from Sunday, comments/feedback welcome as always. For EXIF info, click on image.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Nice shots, Jeff. That orangutan looks pretty happy considering its in a zoo. :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    LOL, yeah he was hanging out with mom, seemed pretty content. It's amazing when watching primates how human-like their behavior and expressions can be sometimes.

Thanks for looking,

4. Jeff #1 is really cute! Great shot!

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Looks like fun, Jeff

I haven't taken my D70 to the zoo yet. What camera and lens did you use for these. I only have the inexpensive 70-300 G lens (but am saving for a better lens). I am always curious as to what others are using to help me in my decision as to what I will buy next.

Your pictures are nice. I love the orangutan. I would have liked to have seen a bit more DOF on the leopard and giraffe shots. It seems the nose of the giraffe is a bit out of focus.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Kevin.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Re: Looks like fun, Jeff

I use the 70-200VR + TC-17 for this type of shooting, which gives me a maximum reach of 340mm. You should be able to use your 70-300 but you'll probably need to bump the ISO to get useable shutter speeds.

Thanks. I agree on the giraffe's nose, I might of been able to make better use of the DOF by focusing just in front of the eyes instead of directly on them. Stopping down wasn't really an option without also having to increase ISO. At f/4.8 (wide-open with the TC), I was shooting at 1/80s for that shot as it is. I know some people say that with VR they can shoot much slower than that, but I guess I don't have steady enough hands. The jaguar was shot through cloudy plexiglass, the shots were almost unsalvageable and even with heavy post-processing the web-size JPG's are just barely passable IMHO. I wish they had a better exhibit.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Another comment

I just came back to read your reply--maybe part of the problem this morning was me and my early morning eyes. The giraffe pictures looks much sharper to me now!!!!

The leopard shot is great considering the shooting conditions.

I certainly appreciate you explaining to me why you shot the pictures the way you did. I am still so new to all of this and I am trying to learn from everyone else.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Jeff! I live 40+ miles from the Houston zoo, so I don't get there very often. Your shots make me want to plan another trip soon!

10. Love the last photo

I like the colors and is great nice shots thanks for sharing these photo's.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice pics Jeff.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Missed a few replies to this thread, guess I forgot to subsribe. Thanks to Don, VinceBeus, and Frank for looking/commenting.