Mostly Autumn leaves, but there are still flowers in NY

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by gvk, Nov 21, 2005.

1. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The great thing about close up and macrophotograpy is that you can always find a subject to shoot. At least for me, a close examination of familiar surroundings never fails uncover previously unappreciated detail, or a new perspective.

For many years I have mostly been using Nikon's "normal" macro lenses, first the old 55 mm f/3.5, and for the past couple of years the 60 mm f/2.8 Micro. I have supplemented these using extension rings, and occasionally diopter attachements on various lenses including, 24 mm f/2.8, 105 mm f/2.5, 200 mm f/4 (old non-AI version), and more recently the 70-200 VR. This past weekend I had the opportunity to try out a new 200 mm f/4 Micro.

Most of the leaves have fallen here in Northern Westchester County, NY. However, here are a few stragglers on a tree just beyond the top of my driveway. The detail rivals or exceeds my 60 Micro, and the perspective and isolation from a busy background add new dimensions.

Weeping Cherry leaves (Nikon D2X with 200 Micro @ f/5.6 and f/7.1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare, for example, with the following shot of Japanese Maple leaves, also from in front of my house, taken about a week earlier using the 60 Micro @ f/5.6.

[​IMG]

Yesterday my wife and I paid another visit to the NY Botanical Garden. There was a big crowd there on Sunday morning because the NYBG annual Holiday Train exhibit in the Haupt Conservatory (featuring replicas of many NY landmarks constructed entirely using branches, twigs, pine cones, leaves, berries, etc. with various trains and trollies running around them) opened this weekend. However, outside in the courtyard of the conservatory the remains of their Japanese gardens exhibit was much more peaceful. I didn't realize that there were so many flowers or any bees still remaining in NY (haven't seen a bee near home, only 30 miles to the north, in well over a month), but it could be that most of the remaining population were congregated here, and they provided another opportunity for the 200 Micro (D2X on monopod, 1/640 @ f/6.3).

Bee working on Chrysanthemum at NY Botanical Garden

[​IMG]

It will be fun learning to use this new lens effectively. Comments are welcome.

2. Gerry:

Nice shots. Very good use of the lens . Hope to see more.

Gil

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Gerry,
    The colors are all nice...very sharp as well. #2 and #4 are my faves....Thanks for sharing.

4. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Gil and Leigh,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that I got these shots when I did. I fear that with the weather forecast in the NE for later this week, my macro photography may be mostly indoors for the next few months!