Motels wanting to scan you drivers license??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Jul 29, 2008.

1. This is new to me, I have a motel wanting to scan my drivers license ever time I check in, they claim it is a new federal law. Anyone else ever have this happen? Just wondering what is going on.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    just stayed at one in Maine this month
    didn't even ask to see it....:confused:

3. hmmmmm
    that is weird
    wonder why?

of course.... worse than that to me....
    every physician in the state of florida had to be finger-printed.... to "feed the datebase."
    but.... no attorney in florida had the same requirement
    a bit ironic.... no?

4. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    When I went to my son's school a few months ago they asked for my driver's license and scanned it .... said it was a security measure. I said it is a privacy threat to me but I was told I would not be allowed to go beyond the reception even though I had an appointment with a teacher. Who knows what else they will come up with under the name of security ..... it is being taken too far these days.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I doubt it is a federal measure. You can still fly in this country without a picture ID if you really want to ("as long as you're not a terrorist").

Probably the same as with the "no photography" BS that we see so much - the rule is easier to enforce using "national security" as a blanket since virtually no one will dare to question it.

6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    The school my wife teaches at does that too. Then they take the picture from your license and print out a sticker with your name, picture, and VISITOR all over it.

7. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Depends on the hotel/motel. I stayed in a motel near SEA TAC in May and they did it. I was incensed and they basically told me to jump in a lake if I didn't like it. But when I stay at hotels that I am a frequent guest of, it's never an issue. I truly despise these laws that claim to be for our secuirty but have no basis in reality. If you're a terrorist or on the lam, you can't forge a license that can pass for real to some part time hotel clerk? Makes me shake my head in amazement. They sure aren't trained to look for the special seals found on gov't issue i.d.

8. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Tell them you don't have one.

9. lol...what do ya'll have to hide? Ever stay anywhere outside the US? Some countries KEEP your passport while you're a guest, they don't just scan it. Sheesh. Show it. Unless, of course, you're up to something you don't want folks knowing about. :confused:

10. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I think the concern is that by giving them that scanned driver's license the person behind the counter now has

1. your name
    2. probably phone number
    3. home address
    4. credit card number
    5. DL number

which is a lot of personal info for a desk clerk to have....especially in rough economic times, who knows what temptations might arise

11. I stay in hotels probably every other week, and I know of no hotels which don't demand all those things. Maybe not a DL number (but they always look to see it matches the registration info), but they have all my stuff and all the other info for days on end. They even make my bed and have access to my toothbrush.

12. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    :biggrin:
    very true

13. To say nothing of your " Nikon D3, D300/MBD10, Glass, a few Speedlights, and other stuf" if you ever leave them there while you are out!

OUCH!

14. Last month when I was in Minneapolis for a wedding I went down to the pool area of the hotel I was staying to get caught up on life with my cousin, whom I hadn't seen in 20 yrs. Later on I went back to my room to get more "beverages" and found the door to my room open. My heart was in my throat as I knew I left my D300 in the room. Went in and saw the open camera bag on the bed and I just about puked as I thought I had been burlgarised....Nope every thing was there and I must have left camera bag open. I checked the door operation and found that if you didnt open it wide open it would not swing hard enough to close and latch. Needless to say I made sure that door was closed and latched when ever I left after that...

15. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    haha, great comment!

16. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Just wait till you renew your DL and they give you a United States of America DL instead of the usual state one.

Many states have already issued DL's with your SSN.

17. Larkin

Larkin

Feb 20, 2008
    N.E. Ohio
    Actually, many states are taking the SSN of off the OL because of increasing identity theft. The only info on your OL is your name, OL number, address, and physical description. There is no phone number or any other info. There really isn't anything that you aren't already supposed to give them. Hotels and motels, at least in the states that I know of, are required to get positive ID on guests. Sure, many don't, but the reputable ones do their best. I have nothing to hide. They can scan my OL all day long.

18. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    yeah, we used to have SSN on DL in ND, but a few years before I moved they switched to a DL number consisting partly of your birthday and some other stuff

I think they had a lot of complaints about having the SSN number, because when they wrote checks, the merchants required the DL number, which was coincidentally their SSN and a lot of folks weren't to keen about putting their SSN on every check they wrote

19. Well that is just the point, I do not want us to become like Europe, with the stereotypical polica picking up the list for each day. Heck if the authorities want to know where we are they can just run our credit cards.:biggrin:

Georgia tried the SS #s, but that went over like a lead zeppelin, the new drivers license, as I understand it, is just a set of uniform rules and information, the license is STstill issued by the state.