Moth, bug and butterfly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Couple of a moth, milkweed bug and butterfly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jerry,

I really like that skipper. Very nice. As usual your photos are wonderful in every way.

Thank you for sharing.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. these are very nice. I too especially like the skipper shot.
    dave

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, Dave. Always appreciate hearing from you.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks Patrick. I sort of like the skipper as well!

7. That is the whole point with macro lenses. They are specifically designed to be used at a close-range and at small aperatures.
    Most of us would not be able to work in this field of closeup photography unless f/11 plus was not suitable.
    There does come a point though where the resolution of the lens drops beyond its best, and for my 90mm Tamron Di it is probably f/16, but I then have to weigh up whether I want that extra depth of field or not especially as sometimes the better resolution makes the picture 'look 'sharper.
    This was certainly true of the fabulous Leica macro lenses that I used to use. f/16 gave results that were outstanding.
    BW. Bob F.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Bob, Paul,
    Sorry folks, I will politely resign from this intriguing discussion since I certainly don't have the expertise to discuss it intelligently--I just take pics for the fun of it. My experience in comparing photos taken with the 200 micro (and the 105 as well) is to compare the results with those taken through a high quality dissection microscope used for photos in my research publications. The quality seems to be very similar, consequently I am happy. As I said, sometimes ignorance is bliss!(NOT REALLY). However, I definitely will stay tuned in because even at my age I still (barely) have the ability to learn something new. My photos never go beyond doing shows at nature centers and the like, so they obviously don't get the critical reviews really demanded. These folks are usually looking at the organism, and perhaps not the overall quality of the pic. You know, the saying that "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc., etc.".
    Always enjoy the photos from both of you and hope to learn a lot from viewing them.
    My best to you both.