1. Late evening picture of a moth on my Purple Robed Locust tree. Shot with my D2H and 105mm f2.8 lens. I have no idea what kind of a moth it is but perhaps Bob will take a look and ID it.

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the dreaded red X!!!! ARGH!!! :x :x :x :x

OK,OK,OK.............I see the image now. WOW that is a wonderful shot!! :) :) :)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

That is a beautiful image

4. Gordon, what beautiful moths you have! This one really glimmers.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Thanks Bryan and Gale. As I mentioned this was taken just prior to the sun dropping behind the hills so the light was really golden. I appreciate your comments.

6. Hey Virginia thanks for taking the time to look and to comment. This moth caught the late evening sun and did sort of glimmer.

7. Sorry,Gordon but I really need a view of the top of the wings to even make a remote guess at it.
    I have a feeling that it could be one of the daytime flying moths, but I can really say no more than that. It certainly has a nice sheen to it.

BW. Bob F.

8. Very nice capture Gordon. Thnxs for sharing.

9. Hey Bob, thanks for looking and for your comments. I do have an image of a partial wing.

10. Am I good or Am I good!!!

I said it was a time flying moth and it is!!

It is a Silver Y. Autographa gamma. Family NOCTUIDAE.

Pure bloomin luck. I must do the lottery tonight as my luck seems to be in.

BW. Bob F.

11. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Awesome, Gordon. Simply, awesome.

12. What a guy Bob, you have come through again. Let me know how the lottery works out. :lol: :lol:

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

I still can't see the image. :(

Must be pretty good though, from all the nice comments. :)

Frank

14. Good capture, Gordon. I like the lighting that makes the moth and the flowers lookinf 3D . Shot at dusk or at dawn?

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

Well, after a number of tries, I can finally see it. It is very pretty. Kinda glows. 8)

Regards,

Frank

16. Shot at dusk, just before the sun dropped behind the hills. Thanks for your comment Dao.

17. Hey Bubba and Frank, thanks for taking the time to look and for you kind comments.

18. Sweet shot Goron love the colors.

19. Gordon, I am not sure but I think I like the second pic even more. Not easy to shoot those guys, they are very quick.
    I did not know that this species of Owl moth (Bob's ID is correct - BTW) also occurs across the lake. It is one of the most common species of Noctuids here in Europe.

20. Thanks Mike and Harry. Your right they are very quick and their wings always seem to be fluttering even when they are sitting still. We had a wet winter and spring here in St. George, Utah, and these moths are all over my flowers (bush and tree).