1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mother & Infant (WARNING - Baby attached to medical equipment)

Discussion in 'People' started by Mike Buckley, Jun 30, 2008.

1. WARNING: Some people may be uncomfortable viewing a picture of a tiny baby hooked up to life-support equipment.

This is the first picture of mother and son, who I'm proud is also my nephew. Notice that Mom is wearing an "iron girl" tee shirt. This little boy is doing his very best to be "iron man" as he digs down deep to survive. He was delivered at Johns Hopkins University nearly two months early as the only available measure to save his life.

The medical team wasn't sure he would survive the trauma of birth, so 16 doctors and one nurse were in his delivery room at the time of birth. (He was born, by the way, on my 25th anniversary!) They immediately whisked him into the ICU, allowing no opportunity for either parent to hold him.

This image was taken at 10 days old. As I post this message the following day, he is progressing very nicely. He is not out of the woods yet, but his prognosis is looking far more promising with each passing day. In fact, some of the medical equipment is scheduled to be disconnected today, which will allow his parents to hold him for the first time. (Writing the previous sentence choked me up in the happiest kind of way.)

For those of you who understandably like super sharp images, be aware that I processed this one to have a much softer look that I think is appropriate for the subject. It was captured using the 35mm prime at f/2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. looks great to me
    something i see 5 days/week.... only for the last 20+ years

i'm glad you showed this
    congratulations
    i hope that his progress will continue
    he's in a great medical center, as you know
    they'll be happy to have images like these

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Glad to hear he's doing better. He must be a fighter!!

4. Hang in there all of you!

5. Thanks, Joe.

Greg, it's probaby no surprise to you that no fewer than 17 medical professionals were in the delivery room at the time of birth. The daytime nurse who took care of the mother while the baby was still in the womb told me after the delivery that the Johns Hopkins neonatal ICU is world-renowned. That probably explains why the mother was rushed to that hospital before birth as soon as the doctors realized the boy's life was in jeopardy.

6. Tells a dramatic story, thanks for sharing. Hope all is going well with the babies development.

7. Beautiful image Mike. The loving look of mom says it all...

8. Boa Babe

Boa Babe Guest

A very special photo, Mike. Thanks for sharing. Mom's face and hands say it all..

9. Nice image, Mike. Best wishes to your family for your nephew's continued progress.

10. Fabulous. That single picture justifies the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars you've invested in your dslr, Mike. I know it's a candid, but you couldn't have posed it any better. Make sure to give a copy to the hospital staff. They'll probably want a poster sized print to hang in the lobby.

11. Wow, how tiny. :eek: 

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. My wife had one complication after another when pregnant with my son but thank God he is perfect and just had his 1 year b-day this past Saturday.

12. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    What a beautiful story and the perfect photo to go along with it. I'm certain Mom will want to cherish this photo forever.

Hope everything will keep progressing positively for your nephew....will pray for the Iron Man.

13. What a beautiful and emotional photo. I'm glad you shared the story and picture.

I hope and pray that the baby will continue to progress.

14. It's so nice that all of you are folks I'm used to seeing here at the Cafe. I really appreciate the sentiments coming from your keyboards.

Dave, I'm sure you now understand the family emergency that we discussed. Thanks again for bailing me out of my responsibilities that weekend.

Thank you, Frank, especially considering that it's not a candid. I did indeed pose it, thanks to a very cooperative baby and mother. You know how much I like candids, but I figured this particular image deserved being posed because hopefully it will be treasured for decades. EDIT: Make that generations.

15. Then I'm doubly impressed. It's a posed picture that looks like a candid :cool: .

I disagree about the decades comment. Hopefully this picture will be treasured for generations.

16. Brian, a special post to you congratulating you and your family for your child's first annual birthday. I use the word "annual" because under the circumstances my wife and I are toasting daily to our nephew's birthday. Day 1, Day 2, etc. We have pledged to do that until he leaves the hospital.

17. Duly noted, and my post is now appropriately corrected.

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I think it's an absolutely beautiful image! My best wishes to the family.

19. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Mike -- what a wonderful image and so nicely done. The little guy looks like a real fighter!

Best Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.