Mother Nature's Arrangement

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by rlhaas, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    I went on a hike to Lake Twentytwo which is on the eastern slope of Mount Pilchuck located about 20 miles east of Everett, WA. There are quite a few waterfall along the way up to the lake. I ran across these ferns on the way and liked the way they were arranged in their natural setting.

View attachment 104240

Other photos of the lake and scenery on the trail can be viewed at http://www.pbase.com/rlhaas/lake_22&page=1

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fiddlehead ferns.
    They are good to eat at this stage to.

Very nice shots. I like the arrangements

3. I love ferns. Did not know what these are called. They grow in my back woods.

4. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Thanks Gale. I didn't know these were edible. Do you eat them raw or cook them up?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had a friend that used to pick them at this stage and cook them . I have never done it
    I am sure you could find out on good ol' google though

6. husawis

husawis Guest

The best way to eat these is when they are much younger, the ones you see here will be tough and bitter, tasting more like asparagas. Sautee the cleaned shucked heads in butter with garlic and a few morrels and wild onions, ramps as they are know in some places, thrown in. I harvest mine every year along the Penobscot in ME. Mahsus is the name for them in my native language. The fiddlehead is featured prominently in our tribal art.

The harvest season is short and nothing beats them fresh.

7. flynnj

flynnj

Jun 26, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very nice!

Regards!
    J.

8. rlhaas

rlhaas

Jan 24, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Thanks Husawis. I'll have to keep my eye open for these when they are younger and give it a try!

9. husawis

husawis Guest

Robin - gnereally they are at their best at about three inches, usuually with a brown calyx - this is what I meant by the shuck. It easily comes off. Tell me how you like them.