1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mother Osprey and one of her chicks in the

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gerald Plowman, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Golden Light of the setting sun.

83141037.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 108823

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very pretty shots

3. Nice shots Gerald. That osprey is daddy not mommy!

Anthony

4. Because? The male of this pair is banded. . . the female isn't.. . plus the females have some gold colored feathers on their chest. . .what am I missing?

5. Nice captures Gerald. Some sweet light.

Probably not much. :Guns::biggrin: This could very well be a male (or female) as both birds perform the various nesting behviors (sitting with eggs, sitting with young, fishing and feeding). It's true the male tends to do more of the fishing and the mother watcing the eggs/young, but they will do both. Epspecially if one of the adults is injured or killed during the raising of hte young.

I tried explaining this common misconception regarding the "necklace" (chest markings) of ospreys a few times around here. Nobody listens. :eek: :tongue::cool: 

Plenty of scientific research on this topic. Lots of good info on the internet and at many raptor rehab centers. Thought this was sort of common knowledge ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  6. Thanks for the information.....from my observations of this pair, the male is smaller, sleeker, sits on eggs infrequently (when female leaves to fish), does help with nest building but once chicks hatch is only in nest to deliver fish to female and chicks......female spends most of the time in the nest protecting chicks once they are born.

7. Osprey Mommy or Daddy?

Not the Jerry needs my help, but after watching this particular pair of birds for the last two seasons, and having numerous mating sequences of the pair both last year as well as this year, I can confirm that this is Mommy and not Daddy, unless this is an incredibly strange Osprey pair. The other intersing tidbit here is that the Male is more "Black and White" than the female as well.

Nice shots, were these from yesterday? I'll post up a few in the next few days and tell the story of the fishing line ..... :wink:

8. Shep1

Shep1 Guest

Very nice shots here. You are so lucky. I would love to find a pair of them somewhere.

Shep

9. you are right. . . . they have a plan to install numerous concrete pilings since many of the "old" wood ones are rapidly failing from age. . . . when they do, they will destroy the wood ones and install much taller concrete pilings. . . this nest is so unique because it is close and short. . . we all understand up this way this great situation won't last much longer.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Gerald. Sorry to hear that their nest (and your unique vantage point) will soon be eliminated. When us humans and wild animals interact, they usually come out on the losing side. :frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.