Motocross (slightly different + Updated With sunday pics!)

By slightly different I mean RAIN! Finally some rain, Made me paranoid to take the 80-200 out in, So I took a plastic bag used to hold my 8x12 pictures in, and ripped a hole in the end and used the Lens hood to make sure it covered the entire lens (and camera)
Didn't get much rain on anything! Score one point for the Humongous HN-17 hood!

Anyway, Rain had a few benefits, One was a Rainbow, and the other was one or two unique shots where the light caught the rain.

Heres a few regular shots (Still testing the 80-200 out, its much different than my previous lenses, so i'm not used to the distance I have to work in)
riderkawiblk_03.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You don't see this often!
riderstunt_01.jpg

riderstunt_02.jpg

A strange angle, but i like the pic
ridersuzuki_05.jpg

A bit of rain
riderkawiblk_02.jpg

and RAINBOWS! (which I can't make stand out very well even with photoshop...)
riderrainbow_03.jpg

And on an unrelated to sports note, Heres what I got to ride after the track
ktm300.jpg

And heres the view I got driving home! (not taken from my car)
lroad1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MY DNS still down on my site or something? Its unusuall for a post to get shunted to the second page without a reply.
Maybe my pics suck that much :)

anyway heres a more mundane "pro" looking shot.
ridersuzuki_01.jpg

MY DNS still down on my site or something? Its unusuall for a post to get shunted to the second page without a reply.

hey, fellow MX shooter. :biggrin:

while I appreciated, and praised, your earlier 'zoom' and 'flash' threads, this one didn't do anything for me, with the possible exception of pic #4.

while I'm here, went to my local track today on my first officail 'day of business'. sad to say that the races were cancelled due to the low turnout. apparently, when they schedule weekned races, Sunday is the big day. anyway, I was very well recieved by the riders, and owners. :biggrin:

it turned into a practice day. I shot a couple houndred pics, passed out some cards. weather permitting, I will be there Sunday.

this is my pic of the day;

DSC_4904BPcopyw.jpg

hey, fellow MX shooter. :biggrin:

while I appreciated, and praised, your earlier 'zoom' and 'flash' threads, this one didn't do anything for me, with the possible exception of pic #4.

while I'm here, went to my local track today on my first officail 'day of business'. sad to say that the races were cancelled due to the low turnout. apparently, when they schedule weekned races, Sunday is the big day. anyway, I was very well recieved by the riders, and owners. :biggrin:

it turned into a practice day. I shot a couple houndred pics, passed out some cards. weather permitting, I will be there Sunday.

this is my pic of the day;

Ya this lens has quite the learning curve, since I avoided the 150-200mm area like a plague on my last lens, yet This lens (80-200 f2.8) I'm mostly in the 100-200mm range.

I unfortunately totally understand the whole "not enough riders" situation, the only Race of spring this season got cancelled, Which sucks for me since I've never covered a race. And the last 2 weeks me and all the other riders have had to jump the fence (or slide under the gate) to get access to the track (cause it hasn't been officially opened)

WOW! I especially like the rider in the air flying toward the rainbow! I've never been one to take my gear out in the rain - to scared of ruining it! I miss MX - we haven't been out in quite a while due to rain, hubby's job, and everything else going on. Great shots - all of them! As for the girl riding with her friend on the dirtbike - if it's trail okay, MX, she's nuts! I won't ride with my hubby on his bike at all! It ain't built for 2.

Thanks for the comments!

I took another 1200 at the track again yesterday (well my sister took 600 of those, I lent her my camera and she was my "assistant")

Still working on them, (on lunch break from work right now) So i'll hpost a few good ones tonight sometime!

Alright, Heres a few pics from sunday, I really felt more confident with the 80-200 today, Probably because it was more of a full turnout.

Quality of this lens still blows me away.
rider232_02.jpg

rider357_01.jpg

rider501_01.jpg

This guy caused some pretty awesome dirt trails in the air, Its basically never watered so getting a damp corner like this is great for pics like this (Grass is greener, Some of the dust clouds can look amazing aswell!)
rider551_05.jpg

riderbrad_04.jpg

riderrnb_03.jpg

Now as an added bonus, My sister was in town (she goes to University in the states) And she tagged along and took my D70s with the Sigma 18-200mm. And actually did quite well considering it was her first outing!

_rider551_01.jpg

This picture amazes me, She got a Clean Zooming out and panning shot! I never tought her how to do this! Just beginners luck? Or should I worry about my monopoly over this track as the resident photographer...
_rider551_02.jpg

_riderbrad_03.jpg

_riderbrad_06.jpg

And EVER so close to being an AMAZING shot.
_riderwnw_03.jpg

Comments appreciated, especially for my sisters shots!
thanks for looking :)

WOW! I love em! I wish I could get my photos to look like these! What's your secret?

Haha Thanks! My only secret is being able to go right onto the track, and having no limit on where you can go, Fences and borders stop you from getting unique angles. Also I have a new Secret Weapon, (The 80-200 af-s) Its amazing even at f2.8, And the quick autofocus lets me not worry about the riders escaping the DOF!

of course its not really a secret, But on low key "unorganized" tracks like mine, You don't have as many regulations, So its a bit of luck on my part (Making up for the lack of races to cover I suppose...)

Haha Thanks! My only secret is being able to go right onto the track, and having no limit on where you can go, Fences and borders stop you from getting unique angles. Also I have a new Secret Weapon, (The 80-200 af-s) Its amazing even at f2.8, And the quick autofocus lets me not worry about the riders escaping the DOF!

of course its not really a secret, But on low key "unorganized" tracks like mine, You don't have as many regulations, So its a bit of luck on my part (Making up for the lack of races to cover I suppose...)

My panning is fair, but I can never get a nice blurred background with the bikers nice and sharp. I'm thinking maybe it's the lighting or something. Beautiful photos though and wonderful work! I could almost feel the dirt flyin!

Heres some added silliness

Original
em4.jpg

After my dad commented on how the Large water tank looked like the moon
em4m.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom