Motocross (Wireless Flash!)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by lexiticus, May 11, 2007.

1. So it got dark enough for me to test out the D70s's CLS with a signle SB-600, And unfortunately getting it all to sync up is VERY VERY hard, Theres just too much ambient light around, So after about 50% failed shots and 40% mistimed or miss exposure shots, I got about 10% keepers.
    so heres a few

Direct flash, SB-600 mounted on top
    [​IMG]

Just had the flash on the ground about 3 feet to my left, Better shadows especially for the face I find.
    [​IMG]

Heres one that worked pretty well, Maybe a tad too strong on the flash, but nothing major.
    [​IMG]

I only had about 4 wireless flash ones I put online, the rest were misfires or mistimed shots (tough to get used to the delay, Setting the AE lock button to Flash Value lock is great for this, but hard to get the right settings on a rider, and they aren't always in the same spot..)

Very challening, makes me want to try something like pocket wizards (but they are quit expensive)

2. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

dude.... awesome !!

3. #3 is Great!

4. koolk2

koolk2

Sep 9, 2006
    Great pics. Try using the Ebay type "pocket wizards". I got mine from Link-Delight for around $25

5. marksayer

marksayer Guest

Yeah number 3 is cool...

I keep meaning to try a bit of remote flashing (ooer!) and these are enough to make me get out there and give it a go

Mark

6. KeithA

KeithA Guest

The detail on the kids face in #2 is pretty neat.

7. Man these are great. I think you did a great job with the remote flash setup.

Dennis

8. pretty cool stuff the cls systme can be frustraign at time but after practice and proper placment it works real well

9. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    The capture on #2 makes that one my favorite. Nice use of the flash.

10. BryanSpeed

BryanSpeed

Feb 20, 2007
    N. Texas
    They look good.

What is CLS ?

I have an SB800 mounted all the time, even full sun.. lol.

11. CLS is Creative Light system which alows you to use multiple Nikon flashes and control the remotes from the master flash.

12. Hmm that sounds intersting, What did you get? I went to Link-Delight's ebay store but its mostly Strobes in their flash section

Thanks for all the comments! Its amazing how a different angle on the flash can make the pictures just POP, Next time i'm there late I will try it out again.

13. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Cool pics! I like how try 'different' stuff. well done. looking forward to your next batch.