Motor City Mechanics Preseason Hockey

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by dbirdsong, Oct 16, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

These are some shots from a preseason game of the Motor City Mechanics game last week.
    I had to shoot though the glass, which was the best glass I have ever seen in a hockey rink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave you are really good at this hockey stuff.

Good shots.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Gale...
    Shooting sports is a real passion of mine. I really am not a big hockey fan, but it is fun to shot. That is one of the reasons I bought my D70 in the first place. Shooting it has allowed me to expand my gear a lot by selling prints to fans and players. I will say shooting pro hockey isn't as profitable as juniors or younger, but it is a lot tougher to get good shots.
    Other than fact that it is cold in the arenas, I am looking forward to shooting 2 or 3 games a week over the next 5 months, hopefully 6.
    I also hope it is more profitable than last year. (maybe I can then afford to get a D2Hs or a D2X)
    :smile:

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good job with these Dave. Did you preset the WB, they look just right. Must be tough to get in the right position at the right time for these fast moving shots.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I had to do some WB adjustments in the PP, some where taken in auto -2 (i think, my camera isn't near me at the moment) others were taken using a pringles lid to preset it.
    What was strange to me was how the WB could be so different from picture to picture in Auto, not that the manual WB was much better.
    This was a preseason game at a different rink and it was my first time at that rink so I didn't have any knowledge of the lighting. It was a pretty bright rink with great glass to shot though.
    They play their first regular season home game on the 28th and there I will be at ice level in a box between the 2 benches. Best of all with out any glass. At the home rink, I use a pringles lid and it is pretty accurate for me.
    Now my wife thinks I am crazy for shooting there since there is nothing to protect me, but it really gives me a great view of the rink, only problem is that I am at center ice which makes getting the players face in the pic while shooting a little hard.
    Last season I was hit by 3 pucks, ducked about 5 times. The last one that came at me was headed right at my head, I heard it wiz by and hit behind me, but we never found the puck and it didn't go back onto the ice or into the crowd.
    The pucks that hit me didn't hurt, the the 2 times I was hit by sticks hurt a lot, once the blade of the stick got my neck, that took several trips to the chiropractor to fix and the other time was the handle right on the forehead. Thank God I was wearing a hat, it softened the blow and prevented a cut.
    I guess the old saying no guts, no glory :rolleyes: