1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Motorcycling and Photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TZ250, Aug 22, 2008.

1. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Has anyone here combined motorcycle riding and photography in one trip? My equipment bag is bulky and my tripod is made for medium format. They don't fit on a sportbike! :wink:

I had to meet a house inspector this morning. I grabbed my D300 and SB-800 and stuffed them into my tankbag. I'm glad that I did.

I think that I need to get a nice monopod for such trips. Do you have any suggestions on a good monopod?

Feel free to post stories and pictures! :smile:

2. I often take my D200 along with a few lenses on my bike, I just use a backpack to carry them. I have a Tamrac photo backpack, but I use a smaller backpack instead because it is more aerodynamic. The photo backpack is pretty much a brick lol.

I don't take a tripod or monopod with me but I'm sure they're small enough models made.

3. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    I do it all the time Honda ST1100 two hard bags for camera monopod or sometime tripod great way to go.

4. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    I snapped these in May of this year at Alexandria Bay, NY.

0805280018_B.
    0805280053_B.
    0805280009_B.
    0805280010_B.
    0805280102_B.

The white/blue Suzuki is mine. My brother and a mutual friend went with me.

5. I love schlepping the camera along on road trips. A little easier with my GeezerGlide though. :biggrin:

My buddy is patient when I say "Hey, this'll be cool...go down the road and come back toward me!"

198408873_6tWiN-L-3.

198408731_TJCnK-L-3.

198590791_kborW-L-3.

6. plenty of room on my bike....
    though i rarely take my DSLR

85518032_sAdQp-L.

7. I rode an hour with my D80 and 18-200VR lens strapped to my back to grab these shots.

original.

original.

This trip was about 5 hours.

original.

original.

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I always take the camera on my rides. 2005 Victory Kingpin.

9. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Guys, thanks for posting the cool pictures!

Mike, Deal's Gap is a six hour ride for me. I've been there numerous times. Once the Discovery Channel did a show on it last year, I haven't been back. The cops are now harassing many motorcyclists.

10. Glad to see so many others doing two hobbies at once.

I haven't been out on the bike with my camera for a while. I may try and get out for a ride tomorrow and get some shots. I've been thinking of trying some self portraits of me riding by using the focus lock feature.

11. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    I've thought about something similar. I was thinking of using a hollow rubber line to send pressure to a remote. I haven't done that yet.

Please post pictures. I'm interested in the results. :smile:

12. Yeah, the TN governor is to thank for that crackdown. I've only been that one time. Had a blast. luckily I didn't donate any parts to the Tree of Shame.

13. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I have a Lazy Rider bag on my Spirit. Can take most of my gear. If I'm mostly just riding and only have time for "grab and go" shots I'll just take the P&S.

15. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know - I find motorcycling and photography too competing - I love to ride long and quick - and take time and stop in many places to photograph. I have not come to grips with that. Same thing - vacationing with my wife - there are times of day and places off the beaten path I would like to go to photograph - but if she is on a schedule... or I feel rushed because I'm boring her to tears...

For me, I find photography a solitary experience that demands certain times and a specific frame of mind. I guess I only "change gears" quickly when riding.

I do carry a P&S while riding - fits nicely in the tank bag. Occasionally, I'l image the bike...

16. WOW! Ya'll have some nice rides! We have a Valkyrie and I love riding with my hubby! If on da bike, I usually take 1 camera body, 1 lens, 2 extra batteries, and charger - all in the smallest bag I have. In other words, I travel as lightly as I can to allow room for more of whatever we need. I gotta get some pics of our big bad dragon!

17. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Scrapping Knee

I'm on a sportbike and basically it's the Tamrac backpack as someone else mentioned. It's a brick but gets the job done. Does it effect my ride? To an extent. My lean is a little different. Also, ventilation is cut in half since air can't flow over the back under my jacket.

I only haul that thing if it's important. Other than that I'm in a car. I have a "all-in-one" lens now and basically have kept a lot of lenses and such at home. It's helped make things easier. :) 

18. TZ250

TZ250

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Frank, I completely understand.
    Dscn1775.
    2005_0907Image0076A_Deals_Gap_TZ250.

19. leaders

leaders

Aug 25, 2008
    Alabama
    I rode 10,000 + miles over the last year on my 1998 Honda Magna. My camera gear is with me about 80% of the time.

20. You guys make me miss my bike. Time to shop for a new one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.