1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Mount Nemrut ( First experience in shooting star trails)

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Binnur, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Unfortunatelly my first experince in shooting star trails was a bad experience as my camera created a lot of noise in a 21 minute exposure. Also we were expecting to be only 16 photographers there , but another 33 photographers came as a separate group and our shooting session was ruined by their torches :-( So, even other photographers who own better cameras then mine weren't able to get satisfactory results with the images they shot.

We stayed there till midnight and it got really cold although it was July. Even so, it was very
    exciting to be on the summit of the Mount Nemrut at 2150 mt :) 

IMG_9460devam.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    A very interesting image, Binnur!

Check out this website, especially their Blog. Scan down the right side to see extremely informative articles they've written about night photography. In Feb and March 2017 they had 2 articles about keeping noise to a minimum.

Although they do a lot of light painting, much of their information applies to non-light painting also. These guys are committed to educating folks about how to go about it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Such an historic mountain summit! I would have loved to go there when I went to Turkey 10 years ago, but unfortunately that area of the country might not have been safe at the time. So glad you got to visit it!

Though the image doesn't live up to your hopes, it's still a very nice photo. Congratulations!

The arc of the star trails on the left seems to be different than those in the center and on the right. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, so I have to ask what causes that, especially considering that I don't remember seeing that situation in photos?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  4. I just now noticed that the amount of time your shutter was open 21 minutes and 24 seconds. The summit is at 2150 meters. It would be fun to make an image with the shutter open 21 minutes and 50 seconds to match the 2150 meters. Alternatively, you could leave the shutter open 21 minutes and 30 seconds, which translates to 21.5 minutes to match the 2150 meters. Silly, I realize, but fun!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  5. Really like the way the summit is framed, nice shot.

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Lens choice? Binnur shot @ 8mm.....

7. Karen: Is your most recent post relative to my question about the arcs in the star trails? I ask because it doesn't seem relevant to my post about shutter speeds that you quoted.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Yes, you asked about the arc in the star trails.

9. Is the use of an 8mm focal length the definitive answer or does it still remain a question for you as well?

10. Nice shot Binnur, the foreground is well captured.

11. Thank you Rick.

12. Thank you Nick, I'm glad that you like it.

13. Hi Karen and Mike. Thanks for looking and commenting about my image.

Karen thanks also for the link. I have already read a lot about night photography but of course I will look at the link you gave me as there is always more to learn. But I have to accept the fact that my camera is not good about noise anyway :-(

As far as I know, the arc of the star trails depends on the shooting direction. When you shoot facing Polaris(North Star) you get completely circle shaped star trails, when you shoot facing south you get star trails in different directions like in my image. When I was shooting this image everybody was shooting at the other side of the summit and they were facing Polaris. Because it was very crowded and all shots were being ruined by some others' light sources , I decided to go to the other side of the summit with a few photographers to shoot this image.If you scroll down in this article How To: Plan Your Night Photography For Perfect Star Trails
    what I mean is explained nicely and supported with some images.

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the extra information!

15. Your welcome Karen. I have just looked at the link you gave me and I have just pinned a video of them for one hour and a half to watch tomorrow(y)

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    There is a LOT of info on their site. I've only shot at night a few times, but I do like the different types of images possible at night. Like you, I'm not into light painting.....unless it is just a wee bit to reveal a small amount of information of a foreground object.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for the added information, Binnur. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  18. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Oh wow - Mt. Nemrut! What an amazing trip! And I think the photo is fine. You did really well despite the distractions, Binnur!

19. I think it’s a very interesting image. Makes me wonder how many stars those faces on the mount have seen!!

20. Thank you very much Lyndee. Yes it was an exciting trip indeed. I wish there hadn't been so many people there at the same time..Oh well..

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.