Mount St Helens-View from the Crater

I had the great opportunity to travel with the Monument and Forest service stewards up into the Crater of Mount St. Helens as their photographer as they explored a new trail that actually goes into the Crater itself. Here is a view of how after 33 years or eruption, you can see the landscape. The lack of nitrogen in the soil the Geologist explained, why there is no plan life with lupine starting to grow and that plans introduces Nitrogen into the soil. That is Loowit falls in the photo, a water source, but no plant life.

simply amazing landscape.. the hike was 10.2 miles with some in 6 inch deep ash, good thing I had gaters on the boots as it was dry, and very much, up hill.

9358464710_abff93cb10_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

incredible image. You must be very fit to be able to do all these hiking. thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on the hike. Not easy for sure. Great picture.

I lived 125 miles away when it blew. The shock wave rattled our garage door. Thought something had hit it until the news reports started. There is still ash in parts of Washington state.

Now live close to Mt. Rainier. Can you spell lahar :eek:

thank you Steve, Ron, Fred.
I am still amazed on what I saw.. and we got very close to the terminus of the glacier.
The number of landslides that happen daily and per hour is amazing.
You can see dust over the crater that catches the wind like steam or a cloud, but actually dust from land slides. The 1.5 miles up to the glacier terminus was off trail, no trail and was very challenging and covered my camera with dust during the hike. I thought going up was very hard.. but going down was more so as you stepped deep into the ash and it tended to slide. This is where 2 people fell, not injured but fell as the ash slide out from under footing. It was so amazing and I was very lucky to be invited to join.

I remember the event, as I lived in Victoria at that time and everything was covered in dust ... lots of gray dust.
Looks like vegetation is making a comeback, slowly but surely.

Super photo!! I'd never be able to hike that far, you must be in great shape :)

I still want to go down to Mt St Helens at some point and shoot it. One of these days :)

Carole

thanks Alex and Rob..
Carole.. you come this way.. I will show you my favorite spots to shoot.. even in winter.. actually I think winter has better photo ops..

Interesting story... thanks for the post!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom