1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mountain Goats

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by fishlips, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I recall seeing several postings of Mountain Goats a couple of weeks ago. I went back thru my files and pulled these two from last year near Labor Day, Mt Evans, CO. Taken at 14,212 feet (GPS) on the north slope of Mt Evans Colorado early am. You can drive up to the summit @14,130 but then you have to bust out upward if you want good goats. We are talking some very thin air and I could sure feel it. I took only one camera and lens, plus gitzo monopod and just enough clothing to keep the chill off. I turned back shortly after taken these two pics (I am out more out of shape than I thought :)  ).

Processing in LAB(but not much), Adamus- WEB trick for sharpening.

Nikon 200-400 VR @ 210mm (first image, second image was at 320-ish)
    Nikon D2X
    1/320 sec F8.5
    No Polarization

Cheers, comments always welcome.

original.

original.

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    woohoo! More mountain goats! I would love to go back to mount evans as it is simply gorgeous there!! Great shots and the portrait is quite nice

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Randy those are couple of great photos. The white against the beautiful blue sky is awsome. The detail in the fur is perfect.

4. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Randy,
    great shots. The sky looks a little dark on my monitor in the second one.

5. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Brian: Not sure about the blue, as I did not push it in post processing. I think folks don't see this kind of blue unless they get some altitude. Remember, I was above 14,000 feet. In both shots, I used the 200-400 and did not have an insert, so I can't explain the differing blues other than angles. These look great on my Apple wide screen, and most importantly, they print great. If I were to do one thing in post, it would be to lighten the eye. Anyway, thanks for the comments guys.

6. Stunning! :eek:  Beautiful! :eek:  WOW! :eek: 

7. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Wasn't meaning to take anything away from the shots, I hope it didn't come across that way Randy. I was just making an observation, and like I tried to insinuate it could just be my monitor.

8. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Brian:

No worries on this end my friend. I have learned that we each see blues (reds, etc) differently. What works for me, may or may not work for you. That is the fun of digital photography. I can tell you that I have never seen skys as blue as this before. I think it had to do with the altitude. Sort of looking out of a airplane window (except they are usually polarized to some extent or another. All is well.

Randy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.