Mountain vs. cloud

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by greyflash, Aug 15, 2005.

1. While driving near Zion's National Park I saw this beautiful cloud that to me appeared to be competing with the mountain for the most beautiful title. The second image was in the same general area and here I was thinking what an idylic setting this house had.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those are very nice captures, Gordon. The clouds are beautiful against the colors and textures of the mountains. It would have been dramatic taken later in the evening if lightning were present in the clouds. Very well captured!

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Nice pictures Gordon.

I would surely like to rent that house for spring and fall.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

Very beautirul..

Oh to live in THAT house...

They prob never even took a picture there :>)))

5. Cool shots Gordon, scenery looks like heaven!

6. Thanks all for your nice comments. It is a very pretty area and is often enhanced by beautiful clouds.

7. Wow, Gordon!

Very nice shots. Love those clouds... those are the kind you wait a long time to see.

Great captures from one of my favorite parts of the country! I envy your ability to take day trips to places like this.

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    post card colors. very good Gordon.

9. Those are beautiful shots, Gordon! White puffy clouds and dark blue skies make a great combination!

10. Thanks David, Greg and Vinod. Zion's Park is only about 40 miles from my house so it is easy to get there. I usually wait until the tourist season is over and then go there in the late fall or winter. It is still pretty nice in Zion's at that time.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Love that blue sky,

Awesome pics Gordon. The clouds against the mountains and that great blue sky is just awesome. Love the nd shot even better.
    Now for the "critique" portion. If it were my pic I'd crop off exactly 1 in off the bottom of the 2nd pic. Seems to balance the image better, and also places the house more into the bottom 1/3 of the image. I tried it in PS, using the Ruler. It was 8 1/4 tall, and I made it 7 1/4. This is totally a subject pov.

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You are so fortunate to live so close to such beautiful scenery. What a stunning cloud formation!

13. stunning shots - I imagine a little rain was soon to be released from that cloud!

14. Re: Love that blue sky,

Thanks Steve. Actually neither shot was made with an ND filter. As to the cropping, I would agree with you and will go back and modify it. I appreciate your input.

15. Thanks Leigh, it is nice to have some very pretty scenery close by like this. I don't take advantage of it often enough.

Hi Phil, fortunately the cloud did not rain on me while I was there. That was good since I was doing a paid shoot at the time and the rain would have spoiled it. There would have been a family of 40 that got wet.

16. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW, Gordon! Great shots of fantastic scenery! I think I'd have to drive for a couple of days to get to mountain scenery like that!

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    oops, typo, Gordon

That should'a read "Love the 2nd shot even better", not nd shot. Glad you like the crop suggestion.

18. Hi Gordon,

Those are fabulous shots. And I totally agree with you about the cloud in #1. Sometimes puffy white clouds can be among nature's most wondrous creations, and especially when viewed amidst a scene as gorgeous as this one.

Peaceful and exhilarating at the same time.

Best wishes,

David

19. Don and David, thanks for your comments. The white puffy cloud really stood out from the red rocks of the mountain so it really caught my attention.

20. Gordon these are stunning. That cloud along with the scenery is quite a combination. Well done.