Mountain wildflowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by dmwphoto, May 9, 2005.

1. I am in West Virginia on a vacation and burning up some CF cards. Have put 17gb on my coolwalker in 4 days. Here are a few shots including a rare red trillium, a jack in the pulput stating to bloom a louse wort ( a pet name my wife has adopted for me after hearing it) and a mountan violet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Dave,
    Would love to have been with you for the flower pics. Noted your macros on your site and you did a great job of showing circinnate vernation on the opening fern fronds. By the way, circinnate vernation is a good thing!
    Keep up the good work.
    My very best
    Jerry S

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

This is a nice coincidence. I was out hiking yesterday and took some similar wildflower shots. Mine didn't turn out as well, although I'm not all that surprised. I was shooting very late in the afternoon, and had very slow shutter speeds. I'm going back out in the next day or so and trying again.

I'll post some of the ones I got yesterday to see what you think. Yours are very nice BTW. :wink:

4. Thank you Jerry and Frank. It has been awesome up here, I have tons of images to put on my site later. I wanted to get a few of what I thought were decent on here and get some opinions. I appreciate yours.
    Jerry you lost on the vernation thingy, wth is that????

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Circinnate Vernation

Thought you would never ask! Just a fancy term for the way fern fronds open, from the fiddlehead formation uncoiling and the associated "leaves" uncoiling as the frond opens. I always taught my upper level biology students to "talk dirty", i.e. use the scientific jargon, especially at the dinner table when at home so that it sounded to their parents like they were getting a good education (and, IMHO, they were).
    My very best,
    Jerry S

6. just got home and opened these on my calibrated monitor. What a huge difference from my laptop.
    I am going to try and tweak them in capture but it may be a week or so before I have time.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Dave, I know the feeling. I've gotten to the point where I won't post an image that I didn't process on my calibrated monitor.

They just don't look as good.